a tiny proposal

What date is it? For a moment this morning when I woke up, I really was not sure. Then I remembered it is December 28, 2010 – just a few days before the start of 2011.  Last week, I questioned whether to “tweet or not to tweet” over the holidays?  I received answers across the spectrum, and my choice landed somewhere in the middle.

My little “Backngroove-Adventure” formally started just a few months ago, and I was going with such momentum that I think that I naturally needed a little breather.  My boys were on winter break, my oldest son turned 10, and our friends were visiting from CALI….so I did what I could do to keep up, but not sure that I did enough?  Both professionally and personally, I am a little behind on my Social Media.

Here is what I propose – In January 2011, there should be an obligation on fb & twitter to do a small recap. A quick snapshot of the holidays, vacation, or staycation that you took.  Maybe even the best article or blog that you came across that you really want to share in 2011.  Rather than the end of the year compilations of photos or status updates that people put together on fb, it could be the jumping off point for the beginning of the year. Sort of a “best of” to take you into the new year.

Here is a little snapshot of my staycation so far – a fun-filled morning at SportsWorks with my younger son and our friends from CALI (it was worth missing a day on Social Media).  BUT, it is time for me to gain MOMENTUM again, so do me a favor  – share your favorite memory or 2010 blog with me, and help me start the new year off right!

• Donna McCord December 28, 2010, 1:54 PM

Personally, I think taking a breather to spend with friends and family is the best you can do for yourself! I have been doing that too for the most part the last couple of weeks, and believe that life is too short to spend it all online. For me, one of the most memorable parts of 2010 was the fulfillment of a long-time dream: traveling to Europe. I was able to spend time in Rome, Italy with my sister and daughter (would have loved it more if my husband could have been there, but it wasn’t possible), and had such a marvelous time seeing and touching and tasting and experiencing things I never thought I would be able to do. That also gave me hope and anticipation for what other dreams will be fulfilled in 2011!

• lisawifemom December 28, 2010, 2:39 PM

I find nothing wrong with taking some time to spend with your family, especially over the holidays. It’s such a true cliche that moms do too much and yet never think we do enough.

It’s impossible to pick a favorite memory for 2010, but one that I really enjoy going back to is our vacation in Palm Springs in October. Has to be one of the best things we did in 2010.

Lisa Vitale

• Judy Stone-Goldman December 28, 2010, 3:12 PM

I’m not sure I can pick out one favorite memory, but one pivotal event for me was participating in the Ultimate Blog Challenge. The blog I wrote on the last day was: http://www.thereflectivewriter.com/breathing-swimming-and-blogging-when-our-learning-comes-together/

The reason this is so important is that it really transformed my experience of blogging. I went from being hesitant, writing infrequently and with some fear, to writing every day and becoming comfortable. Although I don’t blog daily as I did in the Challenge, I look back upon that experience with deep appreciation.

(There’s going to be another Challenge in January. I can’t do it, but others might be interested. http://ultimateblogchallenge.com/wp-login.php?action=register)

Glad you were able to get a second post in December!

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer

• Dorothy Ponton December 29, 2010, 12:00 PM

Judy,

I’m inspired by the challenge, thanks for posting about it!

• Jean Bentley December 28, 2010, 9:39 PM

No vacation, no stacation, just business as usual.

• Jennifer Duchene December 29, 2010, 12:17 AM

I think taking breaks is the right thing to do. No one can keep going without a breather. I love to hear that people are out in the world enjoying life, not just vicariously.
    I like your idea of a snapshot or memory of the break.
    Most memorable for me? This has been an action packed year, and I did take a couple of breaks. My most memorable moments are when I am sharing life with my family & friends. I love the vlog I put together from Christmas Eve it sums up what makes my life great. http://home-decorating-makeovers.com/just-added/christmas-dinner-enjoyed/
    If you are inclined, take a peak. We should never apologize for living well and that includes hanging out on staycations!

Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress

• Louise Edington December 29, 2010, 11:39 AM

We just did ‘stuff’ as a nuclear family again this Christmas, skiied on Xmas day and had fun watching movies together. We also went to some friend’s parties – fun.
    2010 has been quite a memorable year for me in so many ways but The most pivotal moment for me was taking Ann E’s Social Networking Coaching Club bootcamp, finding that THIS is my passion and it ending up with me becoming a coach on the bootcamp. I have a to to say about this but I am writing my own end of year review – hopefully published today – so you will have to check out my year on my blog 😉
    Louise Edington
    Facing Fears and Frontiers For Freedom

• Dorothy Ponton December 29, 2010, 12:05 PM

Your idea to recap of the holidays during our January social media posts is an excellent one, thanks!

My intention was to follow my grandmother’s tradition of reading trashy novels and tabloids during vacations, and ignore any serious media consumption. It worked for a few days, and I know feel up to date on gossip and pop music.

I generally avoid logging on to my computer at all. Then this week a topic inspired me, so I blogged about it and got the Social Media appetite again.

• Bruce Barone December 29, 2010, 12:17 PM

I like this idea!!!

Now I just need to think of what I want to share with you all in January 2011 about last year 🙂

• Rachel Lavern December 29, 2010, 12:53 PM

My favorite 2010 blog has been Bob Burg’s at http://www.burg.com/blog/. He shares information on topics vital to the success of today’s business person.

Rachel Lavern
    Personal Transformation, Enlightenment and Development

• Nicole Fende December 29, 2010, 1:08 PM

Awesome ideas. I took the 25th – 28th to focus on family – the 25th was here at home, the 26th was an extended family party, the 27th another big (different) extended family party. The 28th we just watched our little one play with her loot.

My big accomplishment this year was getting my business online. I launched a website http://www.smallbusinessfinanceforum.com, blog and radio show.

Congrats to all the people commenting here, let’s all make 2011 the most profitable yet!

• Claire December 29, 2010, 2:02 PM

I think taking a break is a great idea! My end of year review always makes me smile.

Cxx

• Robbie Schlosser December 29, 2010, 5:58 PM

Nice proposal. It would be inspiring to get a jolt of “here’s what I’m planning to do”‘s at the start of the year! Although I shudder to imagine how awful it would be if EVERYONE on FB and Twitter posted their vacation photos. A few, yes, but many is too many, in my opinion. But you can go ahead and add a few more cute ones like you posted here.

About taking a break to make room for real life: Go for it!

About my favorite blogs, none compare to any of the TED videos I watch. The depth and variety is fascinating and very rewarding. A lot like public radio, if you like that sort of thing.

• Rachel H Blaufeld December 29, 2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks Robbie! I admit I am one to get a little carried away with the photos on fb, but yes – I was suggesting a few.
      A quick synopsis! This way I feel caught up! Thanks for commenting – happy 2011.

• Darcie Newton December 29, 2010, 7:41 PM

Well this is a great question for me because I have had a hard time maintaining my social media for the entire month of December. I spent the first two weeks on a cruise with my just-70 mom and the last two weeks in the mad throws of the holidays. The funny thing is that I realized that I was spending way too much time on it before and now am going into the new year with a commitment to maintaining my momentum but not at the expense of other things.

My favorite blog this year has been Seth Godin’s – I find so many little nuggets in his short and sweet posts.

Happy New Year!

Darcie Newton
    Providing Alternative Assets to Smart Investors

• Pat Zahn December 30, 2010, 1:15 AM

I think a little slowing down in December is ok, spending time with family is the right thing to do. I don’t have a favorite memory for 2010. I was thinking about this recently and it kind of depressed me a bit – no monumental moment to fall back on – but there was no horrible memory either, so maybe 2010 was a year to maintain the status quo, re-evaluate what/who I could let go of. As far as blogs, I’m not one for identifying favorites, because I enjoy such a variety, I have really enjoyed participating in http://www.facebook.com/BloggerMondaywithAnnEvanston because I’ve been exposed to a lot of blogs I wouldn’t have read otherwise.

Pat Zahn, Photo Solutions Superhero

• Pat Zahn December 30, 2010, 1:16 AM

I think a little slowing down in December is ok, spending time with family is the right thing to do. I don’t have a favorite memory for 2010. I was thinking about this recently and it kind of depressed me a bit – no monumental moment to fall back on – but there was no horrible memory either, so maybe 2010 was a year to maintain the status quo, re-evaluate what/who I could let go of. As far as blogs, I’m not one for identifying favorites, because I enjoy such a variety, I have really enjoyed participating in BloggerMondaywithAnnEvanston because I’ve been exposed to a lot of blogs I wouldn’t have read otherwise.

Pat Zahn, Photo Solutions Superhero

• Fiona Stolze December 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

I think this idea is great. I’m a bit like Pat, finding it hard to focus on a highlight but with a bit more effort I may come up with something.

I’m planning to blog about the year in the next day before the new year begins, having been inspired by many of my wonderful blogging friends!

• Connie Umbenhower December 30, 2010, 2:15 PM

The holidays is a wonderful time to create those special moments with your family and friends. Time moves so fast and before you know it your son will be grown and out creating his own life so you are very wise to prioritize and do some fun things with him.

Something very significant for me that I would like to share was an idea I have had for years that I actually launched this month and implemented in 2011. It is about helping a village and I created a page for it on my website (link below in case you are interested in reading about it).

• Hollee Temple January 2, 2011, 7:25 PM

Oh, I so needed my holiday blogging break. And I am so ready to get the kids back in school and back into my own groove. We had a great time visiting an old friend in North Carolina, and the kids attended a yoga workshop that they loved. I got a little bit organized and I’m excited to keep up with that goal in 2011. Amazing number of comments, Rach, for a new blogger! I am impressed!

• Rachel H Blaufeld January 2, 2011, 7:45 PM

Thanks Hollee! I had a bit of a break, too. But, now it is time to get back to writing and business planning.
      I am very excited for 2011 and the release of your book. We will look forward to a preview right here on my blog in the next few months! Happy 2011 – RB