pay it forward, part 1

Pay it forward is a phrase that we hear quite a bit, but I take it very seriously in business AND life.  I am a big believer in “treating others in a way that you want treated” because life does come full circle. I have talked about this in relationship to moms many times before.  You may remember my crazy snow day vlog in which I suggest that moms offer to help one another when school cancels due to weather. In fact, recently, another friend and I set up a schedule for snow delays and helping one another with the kids.  This is a result of Pay it Forward – for years, this mom and I have just stepped in and helped one another.  Now, we felt dedicated to make a regular schedule!

As I prepare to launch my braduct in the coming year, I am very aware of other businesses and how they treat their customers.  I am making notes of how I want to handle my business matters in a Pay it Forward manner.  I do not have to explain the details of treating customers the same way you want treated – we all have had bad retail experiences.

I still continually question if we, women, can really advocate, support, and mentor one another in the workplace?  That is something that I will continue to explore with my BCKNGRUV-moms as time goes on….This week, I have decided to have faith in this issue!

Earlier this week, my mom had major back surgery to correct a problem in her spine that was starting to prohibit her from walking.  As a dedicated only child, mother of 2 young boys, and budding mompreneur, this week reeked of difficulty.  Although not exactly in the workplace, my fellow ladies have given me faith that we can have each other’s back in life and work.  It has been so great to hear the encouraging words of my friends, see my mom’s room filling with beautiful flowers from my fellow girlies, and just the number of gals volunteering to have glasses of wine is awesome!  You can believe that I will remember this week – I am ready to Pay it Forward.

I can say the same for the friends/colleagues that have gone above and beyond to help me with this mompreneur adventure. I have a running list of websites, books, blogs, and wonderful people who I will promote full-heartedly.  This is my BCKNGRUV-gang.  My “peeps” – the people who believe in me and continue to inspire, help, and listen to ME.  I know that these same peeps would help you — they are that inspiring!  SO, that is why I am making a running list of who I will Pay it Forward to, endorse, and continue to promote.

It is helpful to sit down when you have a quiet moment (I have had many in the hospital this week), and create a Pay it Forward list.

1. Who continues to inspire you?  Is there an amazing blog that propels you to think? Tweet it.  Share it.  Promote it.
  2. Who listens to you and shares an HONEST opinion?  Thank them.  Listen Back.  Grab a cup of Joe with them.
  3. Who has “gone out on a limb” for you?  Make a note to do the same for them at some point.  To be cliche’ (I have done that every now and again) – “Don’t forget where you came from.”

Do you have some peeps on your list?  Please share a Pay it Forward story here …..  And stay tuned for my Pay It Forward list coming soon.

• kathykate January 28, 2011, 8:55 AM

my virtual friend list has grown exponentially, and i am so grateful for all.

But it’s my local community that inspires and surprises me. I share the little bit i know with local moms, and had no idea the impact i was making. Real moms (and dads) stop me in the store, soccer, school — they’re reading and laughing and make me want to do a better job. They keep me honest and real and accountable for the words I write.

• Nicole January 28, 2011, 3:33 PM

Rachel,

Glad you are “keeping the faith”. As in all things there are good and bad apples. Personally I have found the majority of other entrepreneurs are happy to help and support you in your journey. We’re all in this together, so let’s make it happen!

I already have my list as well, and try every day to support one or more people on it.

Happy Friday!

Nicole

• Donna Amos January 30, 2011, 12:08 PM

Rachel, Sending you and your family good thoughts and prayers. I love your perspective on paying it forward. I have always approached my business with the principle that if I am focused on supporting others it always comes back around. As solo business owners we have to create a network that inspires us, supports us and challenges us. Thanks for your wise words.

• Rachel Blaufeld February 20, 2011, 5:22 PM

Donna – you are so right about solo biz owners! What goes around — comes around! AND, we definitely need those networks! Rachel

• Fiona Stolze January 30, 2011, 3:43 PM

Hi Rachel

I loved reading this and I so totally agree with you. I am always amazed when lovely people in my network step out and promote me at unexpected times and I just love to be able to repay it with gratitude. And then it’s fun to just pass the word around about friends who are really making a difference. What goes around comes around so we are all in this together which makes it all so worth while.

Enjoy reading your posts Rachel. Keep sharing. x

• Rachel H Blaufeld January 30, 2011, 6:30 PM

Fiona – gratitude is definitely something that our world is lacking! so happy when I hear others value it!
      I also love that we met thru bloggers monday….here’s to many more wonderful reads! RB

• Laurie Hurley January 30, 2011, 4:12 PM

Love this post Rachel. Paying it Forward is a wonderful way to live one’s life because I believe the love and unselfishness does come back. As an example, the dad of one of the kids on my daughter’s high school track team passed away last week. The entire Board (I am the Treasurer) just naturally pulled together to bring dinner to the family this week and probably next. No need to talk about it – it just happened.
    Best wishes to your mom for a quick recovery! Keep the faith, it will be worth it!

• Denisse Marie February 8, 2011, 12:22 AM

I am in the process of a pay it forward list right now as I am on maternity leave and I have many friends bringing me meals for the next two weeks to help me as I recover from a c-section delivery, take care of my newborn and care for my other two preschoolers. My husband works 12 hour days so having their support and just not having to worry about meals is awesome and helps me get through these challenging times.

It’s also comforting to know that not only can I find this support in my personal life, I can find it in my business life as well and pay it forward!

• Kaylor Hildenbrand / PackageSPEAK February 20, 2011, 5:09 PM

As an only child, a mom of two amazing girls, and a business owner, I can certainly attest to the value of friendships and the power of paying it forward. Many times, I’ve had to rely on friends to take care of my girls when traveling for work, or when I had to take my elderly mother to the doctor. I try always be the first to volunteer to help others when I can. I’m a big believer in karma! Thanks for the post, for sharing your story, and for helping us all remember the importance of being grateful and helping one another.

• Rachel Blaufeld February 20, 2011, 5:25 PM

Kaylor – thanks for your support! Being an only child is not easy!! It is so important to give back to others that have helped us.
    I actually think now that I will have 2 separate pay it forward lists because there are so many great people personally and professionally. Rachel