packing and weather stress! spark & hustle or bust!

Oh….the packing dilemma! I am leaving tomorrow for Spark and Hustle with Tory Johnson in L.A.  I also get to spend some time with two great girlfriends in the City of Angels.  I am looking forward to this trip on so many levels….too many to even mention.  I have babysitters and dog walkers lined up to help the big guy with the 2 legged kids and the 4 legged ones. I have a visiting nurse scheduled to help with my mom after her surgery. Now, it is time for me to ditch my UGGs (required pedi) and head out to Southern California, and I have packed and unpacked three times today. Oh….the packing dilemma!

I have not been away by myself in a long time, and I want to make the most of every moment! Of course, I want to dress perfectly for each one of those moments. Instructions were business casual for day and fun for evening. Being from Pittsburgh, I am wondering if business casual and fun mean something different in Cali? So, I just keep adding and subtracting from the suitcase (actually mostly adding more).

There is also the issue of being true to my style…my brand. Not the actual label brand, but my Backngruv-Brand.  I feel like my overall style should exude getting my ass back in the groove.  Not to mention, I am working on lingerie-related products.  One person suggested I should show a little bra – I don’t think so!  BUT, I do think that I live and breathe my brand.  So, the skinny camo pants are staying in the suitcase, but my bra will remain under my shirt.
(I am packing the Incredible Demi Racerback Bra by V.S. Which is Bckngruv-Recommended).

The pile is growing – slacks, jeans, sweater dress, tights, boots, my workout gear, and of course –  a Steelers jersey to travel home in on Super Bowl Sunday! Now, that I am opening up the suitcase for the 4th time, I face a weather dilemma!  Winter storms throughout the midwest are screwing up flights all over, so rather than obsessing over weather, I will probably pack and unpack for a 5th time.

What is your best packing suggestion?

• Hollee Temple February 1, 2011, 7:00 PM

I’m jealous that you get to spend time with Tory in person! (I just got to interview her over the phone for Good Enough Is the New Perfect.) I hope your travels go smoothly and I can’t wait to hear what you get out of the event. You’re so full of energy now — I can only imagine how this will motivate you! Pass me some of what you’re having! I’m still recovering from the blogging conference I hit last week:)

• stefani February 1, 2011, 7:39 PM

Didn’t we already lay out the clothes? You’ll be fabulous and perfectly dressed. Can’t wait to see you with even more spark and hustle. Is that possible??

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 1, 2011, 7:43 PM

hollee – wish that you were coming! I will definitely spread the energy — if I get there! Cannot wait for the book!

stef – I still packed the camo pants even though you voted against them! thanx for the help! just trying to keep up with your spark and hustle!

• Pat Zahn February 2, 2011, 6:10 PM

California is an anything goes kind of place. I can go to a “nice” restaurant and some people will be wearing suits and evening wear and at the next table you see jeans and T-shirts. Bus casual to me says wear what I would wear to see clients or potential clients. Packing tip: coordinate everything so you can mix/match and you don’t have to pack as much. For vacations, I only pack 1 pair of long pants, 1 pair of shorts, then multiple tops, maybe a dress for our “fancy” evening. It helps when you only travel to warm climes – no outerwear required!

Take pix!

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 2, 2011, 10:18 PM

thnx Pat! I am sure that I am overpacked, but oh well.
    It is 60 degrees here and everyone is complaining that is cold! I am thrilled! RB

• Nicole February 4, 2011, 8:18 PM

Rachel I know this is waaay after the fact, however you can save it for next time.

At one point I traveled extensively for work, and faced the same dilemnas you mentioned. My two tricks were: always use your smallest suitcase and stay in the same color scheme to enable more mix and matching.

Can’t wait to hear about the trip.

• Fiona Stolze February 6, 2011, 12:35 PM

This was great to read Rachel. I know that you’ve been and come back in the meantime so you’ll have worked out the clothing dilemma completely. Would love to hear how it all went.

And what would I do trying to pack? Sit there the night before with a glass of wine and pack until really late, putting in all my favourite fancy things. :-)))

Inspired Art and Living