Spark and Hustle, L.A. 2011 – enough said

Katy Perry may be a Firework, but I am a SPARKLER!  That’s right – a SPARKLER!

If you have been following me over the last few months, you know that attending SPARK AND HUSTLE with Tory Johnson was on my agenda.  Well, I came, I went, I heard, I absorbed, I networked, and I am ready to SPARKLE!

Last Wednesday, I was lucky to leave Pittsburgh on one of only a few flights getting out due to bad weather all over the U.S.  Myself and my very over-packed suitcase flew to Los Angeles, CA to attend SPARK AND HUSTLE.  Many have asked me – Why California?  Besides the fact of why not leave the snow/ice/cold to see sun, blue skies & movie stars, I planned to attend the first SPARK AND HUSTLE of 2011.  The timing was perfect.  It was time for me to stop planning & planning, and start DOING.  That is the energy that Tory Johnson exudes — Putting the Hustle behind your Spark!  After 3 days with Tory and her FABULOUS line up of speakers, I am ready to SPARKLE!

Upon arriving to SPARK AND HUSTLE (and checking in with Alex who I had already emailed with way too many questions), my stomach dropped.  I felt as though I was on a huge roller coaster right before it is about to dip down a steep hill.  After weeks of anticipation, I was certain that I had NO IDEA what I was doing at SPARK AND HUSTLE. Well, I stuck my name tag on, grabbed a seat, and Tory took the stage.  It only took me about 60 seconds to ABSOLUTELY feel as though I was in the EXACT RIGHT PLACE!

The three days were a dream!  Tory created the atmosphere that I have been searching for over many months.  SPARK AND HUSTLE is an amazing gathering of women who can share, mentor, collaborate, and network because Tory sets the tone — there is enough business for all of us!  Not only does Tory inspire herself, but she assembles the most amazing line-up of speakers.  Each day, successful and vital women took the stage to share their experiences, and I TOOK each story in!

I thought that I would share with you a few of my favorite GEMS of the 3 days that are going to keep me SPARKLING for a long time:

• Jessica Herrin, founder & CEO of Stella & Dot, spoke on women entrepreneurs all having Tenacity and being a little CRAZY! We do something with the “Serendipitous moments in life.”
  • Jess Weiner, Actionist!, promoted “being graceful in pursuing you.”  Rejection is protection because when one door closes, another opens!
  • Nell Merlino, CEO of Count Me In for Women’s Economic Independence, dispelled myths about needing a 30 page business plan (WHEW!).  A ONE page plan can be our ticket to opportunities.
  • Jack Nadel, Jack Nadel International — just amazing feeling his presence.  Jack delivered the 3 R’s of Business – Relationships, Results, & Rewards.
  • Ann Evanston, WarriorPreneur, insisted “BE YOU” on social media! People want to do business with real people.
  • Michelle Pippin, Women who WOW!, instructed us to use some ELBOW GREASE in business!
  • Shannon Wilburn, Adrienne Kallweit, & Cindy Morrison showed us how we can “marry up”, meet other women entrepreneurs, and make a Mastermind Group.
  • Vivian Tenorio, creator of Signature Flan, riveted us with her story of making her family’s flan, getting in the car & driving to Whole Foods Headquarters, and having unbelievable success!
  • Sari Crevin, founder of Booginhead, captured us with her !st trade show story — knowing the buyers ahead of time, sending for more product and selling her heart out.

Mostly, I thank Tory Johnson for taking me from “Dreaming & Deciding, to Doing”….and allowing me to SPARKLE!

Rachel Blaufeld ~ Backngroovemom

• Laurie Hurley February 6, 2011, 10:48 PM

What a great recap. So glad you attended Spark & Hustle and I truly hope we see each other again soon. Do keep me posted on your product. I’ll “see” you on Ann’s Blogger Monday I hope and I seriously think you should consider Ann’s boot camp! Take care!

• Tamara February 6, 2011, 11:07 PM

Loves the quote”Rejection is protection” so needed to read that tonight! Oh, great recap! 🙂

• Fiona Stolze February 7, 2011, 4:20 AM

Rachel, this was a very inspiring post to read. It was great getting what each of the speakers said in a nutshell and I can really feel your enthusiasm about what happened and where everything is going for you.

I think I would have loved it too, just a pity it was a bit far away for me.

Hoping you write more about this and looking forward to any more insights you get and share with us.

Thanks a lot for writing this post.

Inspired Art and Living

• Coach Jenn Lee February 7, 2011, 7:12 AM

Can’t wait for Spark and Hustle to make it to Orlando. I registered the moment I heard about it 3 months ago…May 19th can’t get here fast enough! Keep it up girlfriend!

• Mindy Thomas February 7, 2011, 7:57 AM

Loved your post. It is actually pushing me to reconsider going to S&H when they hit the east coast. I am in the resume writing and career counseling business which is very robust right now but boosting our confidence and feeling empowered is a winning game plan for any solopreneur out here. 🙂 We also need gas in our tanks too! Thank you for sharing the golden nuggets!

• Beverly Lewis February 7, 2011, 8:03 AM

Great recap. I got so much from Spark & Hustle in ATL last summer and plan to go again. Wonderfully inspiring – not just the women on stage but the women like me and you…a little crazy, a lot determined and having fun on the journey.

• Natalie Caine February 7, 2011, 9:28 AM

Rachel, Great post. I was on the panel, Concept to Cash. Honored to be there. I , too, got inspired, reminded to shift when needed, ask for help, and keep going. I hope more women can connect and make it to Spark and Hustle. Tory was excited and available , as were the other presenters and attendees. Brought to tears with Jack and Julie Nadel. Wow.

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 7, 2011, 2:34 PM

Natalie – I enjoyed you on the panel! I agree – the accessibility of Tory and the presenters was amazing!
      Seeing Jack Nadel was a once in a lifetime opportunity!
      Keep up the hustle! Rachel

• Boca Beth February 7, 2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks so much Rachel for making this public! Sharing with women around the world how inspiring Tory and her team’s Spark & Hustle event can be makes all of us realize that our dreams CAN become realities!

I know now that I MUST be at the Orlando event with these dynamic women in order to continue to grow my business.

• Donna McCord February 7, 2011, 1:58 PM

Your energy and enthusiasm are so inspiring and fun to read! Loved the way you captured the spirit of the event and your summary of what each of the speakers contributed. I hope that what you took away from this experience will continue to fuel your “Sparkle” and spread to all those around you! I am sorry this was not something I could have participated in, but just reading about your experience is motivating in itself!

• Pat Zahn February 7, 2011, 2:18 PM

It is obvious that this was inspirational for you the words practically vibrate off the page (screen?) We all need things to motivate and inspire.

• Adrienne Kallweit February 7, 2011, 4:12 PM

Hi Rachel!

It was great to meet you – you are already a success! I hope to keep in touch with you and can’t wait to find out more about your product! (as I jotted down on your biz card so I would remember you – “bra person”)

Hopefully we have a franchise in your area soon so I will be able to keep in touch on a visit your way!

Keep moving forward!
    Adrienne Kallweit

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 7, 2011, 6:31 PM

Thank you Adrienne! I appreciate the vote of confidence!
      I will keep you posted, and please let me know how things go with franchising in this area! Rachel

• Louise Edington February 7, 2011, 4:18 PM

Oh how I wish I had been there!!!! Though I felt as if I were for some of it thanks to the #sparkandhustle twitter hashtag. I agree with Laurie – you would so benefit for doing Ann’s bootcamp girl. You know we’re doing a 30 day intensive in March and May…..?
    Louise Edington
    Facing Fears For Freedom

• Marian Mangoubi February 7, 2011, 5:24 PM

Thank you so much for this awesome recap. Almost felt like I was there. Now I’m even more excited for the Spark & Hustle event here in Chicago in 2 months. Can’t wait!

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 7, 2011, 6:29 PM

You will love it Marian! Please report back on all the details 🙂 Rachel

• Nicole February 7, 2011, 5:56 PM

Rachel,

What a great recap, I especially appreciate the links for those of us who couldn’t make it.

I think Sparkle needs to make it onto my 2012 calendar.

Nicole

• Rachel H Blaufeld February 7, 2011, 6:29 PM

Nicole – I know that Spark and Hustle is coming to Chicago sometime soon! You should see if it fits with your schedule! You will not be disappointed! Rachel

• Manhattan Beach Momma February 7, 2011, 6:51 PM

Rachel – I’m so glad to have had the opportunity to meet you at Spark & Hustle. You do sparkle, in all that you do!

Debbie

• lisawifemom February 7, 2011, 8:32 PM

I was so glad to meet you in person (during my evening of S&H crashing), you are dynamic! It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the re-cap, it really made me wish even more that I had been able to attend, but am glad to gleen bits and pieces where I can.

You go sparkler!

Lisa
    htttp://lisawifemom.wordpress.com

• Christen Berman February 7, 2011, 11:45 PM

You were the first gal I met at Spark & Hustle and I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed meeting you… and loved your bog post…..perfect recap!
    In fact, I contacted the marketing and sponsorship department of my company, Mass Mutual to let them know they made a great choice in deciding to be one of the corporate sponsors of the event. Then I told them to be sure and send even more women agents when they sponsor the event again next year!

Your “new sparkler friend”,

Christen

• Rachel Blaufeld February 8, 2011, 6:39 AM

Christen – thanks for commenting! Meeting you first and chatting definitely helped ease my nerves!
      See you back next year! Rachel

• Denisse Marie February 8, 2011, 12:30 AM

I can feel your inspiration. I always love going to conferences or events that inspire me to sparkle! Hmmm…do they come to Las Vegas?

• Irene Turner February 8, 2011, 12:58 PM

Sounds like a great conference for you Rachel. I love that feeling when you are attending something and know that it’s the absolute right place to be at the right time.
    I personally haven’t met any of the speakers you mentioned except Ann Evanston…she alone would have made it worth while! Good for you and I look forward to seeing more of your sparkle.
    Irene Turner

• Robbie Schlosser February 8, 2011, 5:54 PM

Thanks for posting this enthusiastic review. Sounds like you enjoyed an inspiring time, on many levels, and I hope you’ll continue blogging about some of your highlights, and what they lead to. Looking forward to more!
    Robbie

• Lisa Ann Landry February 8, 2011, 7:54 PM

I heard about Spark & Hustle but I didn’t know what it was. Thanks for the highlights. Is it something that’s done nation wide or just in California?

Lisa Ann Landry
    Vibrating positive energy…what are you vibrating?

• Rachel Blaufeld February 8, 2011, 7:58 PM

Hi Lisa – Spark and Hustle is going to a few cities around the U.S. Right now – they are in Tulsa!
    You can see the schedule here http://sparkandhustle.com/
    and if you can make it…I highly recommend it! Rachel

• Brandy Mychals February 8, 2011, 8:30 PM

Sounds like it was a great event. I love hearing about inspiring weekends that are also full of great content. Good for you for getting yourself there and making the flight…that’s committment!
    Brandy Mychals
    Communications Coach
    Creator of Split Second Perceptions

• Carrie Hansen February 8, 2011, 10:00 PM

Sounds like a very cool function! I love the feeling of realizing your are exactly where you are supposed to be! Karma! Great recap – love that!

Carrie Hansen

• Carrie Hansen February 8, 2011, 10:05 PM

Rachel,
    What a great event to be a part of! Thank you for sharing highlights with us! I love your logo and page also!

Carrie

• Candace C. Davenport February 9, 2011, 10:50 AM

One word: Inspirational! Wow, loved hearing it from someone who was there and actually got something out of it. I’ve been to many weekend events where I’ve walked out and wondered where the weekend went and was I even there??? lol- you clearly KNOW where you were and what you learned from it.

It will be fun watching the results. Thanks so much for sharing!

Candace Davenport
    http://www.ourlittlebooks.com ~ Little Books with a Big Message.

• Jennifer Duchene February 9, 2011, 3:44 PM

Rachel thanks for sharing what was obviously a very empowering event.
    Sometime we need a proverbial kick in the pants to move our businesses from doing to being. I enjoyed every tip you shared. Nothing like knowing that none of us is alone on our journey to keep us fired up to make the next leap!

Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress blending Lifestyle and Laughter

• Tambra Harck February 10, 2011, 1:08 PM

Women coming together to collaborate, cooperate, witness one another along the journey of entrepreneurialism… One of my favorite things. I heard now and then about this event from Ann Evanston, warrior-entreprenuer that she is. Sounds like it was quite an inspirational program.

We are living in a time of great change – and as women, we have an opportunity to redefine what it means to create and experience success.

I’m leading a one day event in San Francisco Bay Area next month where spiritually-oriented women leaders and business owners can come together and shed the “what doesn’t work” old ways of being “masculine in business” AND uncover how each one of us can shine and being in our grace, ambition and vision… now.

It is time.
    Tambra Harck

• Connie Umbenhower February 10, 2011, 3:22 PM

What a wonderful recap and testimonial to the event and what you got out of it. It was inspirational to read about how empowered you felt.

• Darcie Newton February 10, 2011, 4:04 PM

Rachel, great recap on what appears to be a very empowering event. It is clear you walked away inspired and motivated…can’t wait to hear about how you are using that inspiration in your business.

Darcie Newton
    Discipline for profit, none for jammy zins, triple creme brie or memorable necklaces

• Bruce Barone February 11, 2011, 9:59 AM

Inspiring now for men too–for me.

Thank You.

• Jamie March 12, 2012, 8:13 PM

I’ll have to check into this event. Sounds like a ton of fun!

• Rachel Blaufeld March 13, 2012, 10:14 AM

you absolutely should — it is coming to LA again…