You want to be a mompreneur? a little perspective –

Last week I put myself on video asking for mompreneur questions….thanks to everyone for watching me on the big screen (ugh) and commenting.  I had one hell of a roller coaster week, and I thought that I would incorporate some of that into the answers. So, you want to be a mompreneur?  – Here you go!

When I posted the video last Monday, there was no school for President’s Day.  This was an expected day off, and I was planning on being with the boys.  In fact, they each had a friend join us and we went to a movie fundraiser sponsored by a local kid. We even managed to sneak in a game of Monopoly,

and then it started to SNOW!  I would say that this was where the roller coaster ride started.  We woke up on Tuesday morning to 8 inches of snow and of course, NO SCHOOL!

I had a BIG DAY planned for Tuesday that included a meeting with creative 2 (as in creative 1 and creative 2).  The creative meeting was downtown, and then I was to pick up a few prototype models, etc. from prototype guy for a different meeting on Wednesday.  OK, peeps, there were 8 inches of snow, poorly cleared roads, no school for the boys, the big guy was off to a meeting, and I had places to go & things to do!  Insert four letter, unprofessional word here.  I am sure that you are getting the idea.

This is where I mention the question “Now that you’re this far in to the process, do you find the balancing of work and family easier?” On a day like last Tuesday, I would have to give a resounding “NO.”  The balancing act between being a mompreneur and family is extremely difficult, and technically becomes worse as you get more involved with your biz/project.  HOWEVER, I accept the challenge and say this: I believe that the juggling act will be worth it one day.

I will, hopefully, have something that I can call my own, my boys will be PROUD, and being a mompreneur allows me to schedule off on a day like President’s Day.  We made Tuesday work somehow, I tackled the appointments on my list, and called it a day…..that is the ebb & flow of being a mompreneur.  There is constant up and down, but that is the part that lets you know that you are ALIVE!

Now for the 60 million dollar question – THE PROTOTYPE!  I know many of you wrote about waiting in suspense for the prototype.  Guess what?  ME TOO!  This is an area that has been up and down for me, and it is crucial that my idea be appropriately translated into a working model…..this is a lengthy process.  Beyond the actual prototype, I need to secure all the patent information. This is even lengthier.  I know – you hate me, you want more information, it sucks!  Think about how this sucks for me?  It is very hard not to get ahead of myself, to stay on task, and not consume gobs of Hershey kisses daily while doing this.

This week, I was obsessing a bit over mass production.  I was about 3 or 4 steps ahead of myself, and then someone reminded me that “timing is everything” and to SLOW DOWN.  Do not worry, the thought of where I am going to produce a large number of these products still plagues me, but I am FOCUSING on just the prototype right now, and making a just a small batch. At Spark and Hustle, Jessica Herrin, founder of Stella and Dot, spoke of making the original jewelry at home on her living room floor.  I need to get back to that kind of thinking (for the moment).

After Tuesday, the week continued in a crazy hectic fashion with lawyer meetings, several consults, my DEBUT on StartupNation, more snow, and basketball with the boys.  Needless to say – I was full of stress and in need of MAJOR STRESS RELIEF.  Whatever I tried, did not work. ** hint — stay posted for my great stress relief experiment…..

I will end with this – What I learned this week:

1. A mom’s plans are only as good as the weather system behind them.
  2. In Monopoly, $2 million is the new $200 – which is scary for the boys to grow up thinking that $2 million is the average salary for passing go.
  3. Stay in the moment – Do not allow your excitement to take your eyes off the prize.
  4. Better to start small and grow big, rather than plan big and end up small.
  5. My current stress relief plan is not working.

I am open to any thoughts….RB

• Geraldine February 28, 2011, 8:27 AM

I appreciate all of your honesty. You provided some really good information into how it really is. I myself need to remember to start small and grow big. I find myself sometimes trying to model the bigger companies- only to stress myself out.

Take it day by day and if you are into mediating- continue to do that. I am sure everything will fall into place for you. Have a wonderful day.

• Nicole February 28, 2011, 12:14 PM

Rachel I’m impressed with all you accomplished on Tuesday despite the weather and a snow day for the boys.

While I agree focus is very important, so is forward thinking. I would encourage you to continue to noodle the production side of your business. Mainly because it sounds like this is a product that needs to be mass produced (unlike jewelry) to be profitable.

Of course since none of us actually know what IT is (LOL!) I could be completely wrong.

My stress relief -> going for a run following by a glass of wine with a girlfriend.

• Rachel Blaufeld February 28, 2011, 12:33 PM

Nicole – of course, you know that I am still kicking around production ideas! Just smaller scale ones for the moment! And, I had a big workout this morning maybe a glass of wine later! as always – thanks for the encouragement – RB

Geraldine — it is hard remembering to grow slowly and naturally! your product is AWESOME! I know that you will succeed – RB

• Haralee February 28, 2011, 5:00 PM

Weather happens. That is out of your control and you did great. If you were working at an office you may have not made it in and lucky for you your appointment people were able to meet with you too.
    Again a snow day for the kids would have happened working at an office or at home.
    Control the controlables.
    A tip from some one who has been there in manufacturing, come up with 2 places. Putting all your eggs in one basket to say is not safe for a start-up entrepreneur.

• Janice Schwarz February 28, 2011, 8:25 PM

It’s nice to be reminded that we’re all busy and stressed and dealing with Murphy’s Law. That we’re not alone.

My stress relief plan hasn’t been working so well either. Personally, I miss sleep. 😛

• Fiona Stolze March 1, 2011, 8:03 AM

Great stuff Rachel. You certainly learned a lot and came out of this with flying colours. What jumped out at me? Keep your eyes on the prize!! Stay in the present moment and don’t jump ahead.

I think you are doing brilliantly and journalling all of this is helping to keep you focussed. One step at a time.

Great human job.

Inspired Art and Living

• Arlene Rubinstein March 2, 2011, 11:09 AM

Rachel –

I have been reading your blog with much interest. As you know, I have been an independent contractor for 25 years and have loved every minute of it. When the kids were little, I was home with them ( I worked a few times at 3 in the morning.) Now that they are out of the house, I am looking to develop more interests outside of my work. Different times call for different strategies.

Good luck! Enjoy!

Love,
    Arlene

• Rachel Blaufeld March 4, 2011, 8:15 PM

Arlene – thanks for the support! You were a mompreneur before we even knew what that word meant! You are to be admired for your tenacity and your ability to go with the transitions of life! RB – xoxo

• Denisse Marie March 4, 2011, 2:06 PM

Rachel, your posts add laughter to my work day which I appreciate!

I relate to my plans being as good as the weather system and my stress relief plan is not working either. Usually I take a day off from work and kids and go with my sister to hang out but for some reason one day is not cutting it anymore.

What’s great is having a place like this to let out your thoughts and share it with other mompreneurs that can relate!

Good luck!