moms do what it takes!

A quick post today…..starting with a video!  (I got a SONY bloggie camera, so I had to have a little fun with it….)

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_9Frb-ImI?rel=0&w=640&h=390]

It is true ~ I am working on a post about what make a successful mompreneur (in my opinion), but I thought that I would just share my experience from yesterday. Yesterday was one of those days after school, in which I did have to be on a late afternoon webinar  (damn west coast).  I bartered with the boys for one hour of quiet.  I promised that if they did their homework quietly and then went to play downstairs while I took the webinar – dinner could be takeout from the place of their choice.  Guess What?  It worked.  Everything went seemingly well, and since I was not available – my older son even helped the little one with his homework!  After the hour, we had much discussion on the dinner choices, and the boys settled on Mexican takeout.  It ended up being fun for everyone!  Success Story #1!

Being a mompreneur or a working mom means you have to balance a lot, and like I say in the video – we do what we have to do whether it means answering emails in the car line or Mexican takeout.

While I put the finishing touches on my successful mompreneur post ~ Share with me any success stories you have when needing your kids to cooperate as a mompreneur or working mom.

• Rita Brennan Freay March 11, 2011, 11:58 AM

RB, LOVE THIS! Its ME too! This is SOOO funny…..I have to make one while sitting in carpool…I just might since I have the same wait time that you do…doing what you are doing..catching up, calling, last minute work…and then its all kids! Love the video!

Rita Brennan Freay
    ritabrennanfreay.com
    @Rita4kids

• Fiona Stolze March 11, 2011, 12:20 PM

OMG I love seeing you doing your video in the car Rachel! You are just so disciplined and organised. A great example all round. When my kids were small I didn’t have a car (husband did) and I couldn’t even drive. I had to walk and take the bus everywhere. There were no smartphones and I had a book in my bag to make the most of every minute I had to spend sitting around waiting. Whole new world now.

Your energy is really upbeat. You’re doing a great job of inspiring all those aspiring mompreneurs!

Inspired Art and Living

• Haralee March 13, 2011, 5:46 PM

Rachel,your video shows you are the best looking Mom in line!
    Being an entrepreneur and working from your home always takes negotiations with kids, spouse, space, pets etc. One of the many reasons I think women make such great negotiators.

• Nicole March 14, 2011, 9:55 AM

Great video, I love that you did it while waiting to pick up your kids. That discipline and creative scheduling is why you will rock as a mompreneur. Keep it coming, I love your videos.

• Pat Zahn March 14, 2011, 10:13 PM

Rachel – oh do I remember those days. I didn’t have a smartphone, but I had a Palm Pilot, so I made customer calls while I waited. You’re right, Moms in general, have to make the most out of the time they have available.

• Lynette Hoy March 15, 2011, 1:21 PM

Yes, you can do it all! See the website I included and join us for the Business Breakthrough Summit, and learn more and hear from mom entrepreneurs too. We (Thrive Publishing) just came out with a new book called Mom Entrepreneur Extraordinaire and it gives great insight! Come meet these moms and more. Email me with more questions, if you like. Check out http://momentrepreneurbook.com/ to see new book, too. I encourage you to join us, and you will have a wealth of information to not only share with your loyal readers, but new ideas you can use and fill your wallet! I promise this is not spam but a great way for you to pay it forward and meet some real experts. All my best, Lynette Hoy–you can call me personally as well, at 510-814-8325. See you at the summit! I know it is close notice, but worth every second.

• Lynette Hoy March 15, 2011, 1:28 PM

Lynette Hoy here, I see above that I guess I needed to join before my pic and the website would show on how to join us for the summit! Here is the site to register: http://www.bizbreakthrough.com hope to see you!

• Denisse Marie March 16, 2011, 12:55 AM

Phew! I am not alone! 🙂

I work from home with a three and two year old and one of the biggest challenges is keeping them quiet when I have to talk on the phone. I try and do everything over email but once in a while I have to talk on the phone with a client or lead. After many talks with my girls (and bribes here and there), they have been doing really good at staying quiet. And if they see me on the phone they wait to talk or ask me for something.

As a mompreneur it’s important to teach our kids to be independent and teach them when it is okay to “go to mommy” and when it is not. I think kids learn a lot from mompreneurs- not only independence and responsibility but ambition as well.

By the way, I am happy you are using video in your blog! You look great.

• Rachel Blaufeld March 16, 2011, 9:28 AM

Denisse – Thanks for the compliment…I do not like the video part!
      I do think that our kids will gain a certain amount of independence that is crucial! Your girls have such a great role model in you! RB