when we need to step away –

I had several blog posts brewing in my mind for this week; my outlines were laid out and I was ready to go; and then shit happens.  For the last 2 weeks, my adorable, fun-loving, caring father-in-law has been in the Intensive Care Unit fighting for his life.  It has been a roller coaster of an affair with many ups and downs, and I have been treading water as fast as I can in order to keep up with everything.  After all, I am a mom, wife, daughter-in-law, daughter, mompreneur, advocate for other moms & entrepreneurs, and community member.  Sleep is in limited supply, but I have stayed up to date with my boys’ homework and science fair project, cheered on their team at basketball practices, cooked dinner, walked the dogs, participated in committee meetings, made some unreal progress with the prototype, and stayed on target with my blog and my weekly blog at StartupNation while praying for my father-in-law.

The question is “What do we do when we need to step away for a moment?”  It has been such a feeling of accomplishment that I have been able to continue to check a few items off my “to-do” list during this period, and although, I am not able to tear the list up and throw it away, I did accomplish something.  Today, and more than likely over the next week, I will need to step away from it all.  In life, we have many responsibilities – personal and professional – and, a big part of being successful is balancing the two.  There needs to be a balance between the personal and professional that becomes hard to maintain at certain points.

This week, I just have to accept that my test marketing plans are offset by a week or so, my new website will be on hold, and I may miss a committee meeting.  This week, the personal trumps the professional, and I need to be a supportive wife, mother, daughter-in-law because my father-in-law passed away this morning.  I need to help my husband with arrangements, mourn our terrible loss, and most important – hug and kiss my boys.  We can make all the plans, spreadsheets, and agendas that we want, but sometimes, just sometimes, they do not matter.

So, this week, I may be a little absent as a mompreneur.  I may fall off the grid and need to push deadlines and expectations back a week or two.  What I will be this week is human and remember the awesome man we called “Papa”……

Thanks for your support – I will be back soon.

• Geraldine March 21, 2011, 4:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure that you and your family will get through this. Things happen to us in life and I think that at times it is to test our strength.
    Stay positive. Stay encouraged. Take care of yourself and your family. We will all be here to support you when you return.

• Fiona Stolze March 21, 2011, 5:55 PM

Just wanted to send you a very big hug and lots of love.

• joy March 21, 2011, 6:14 PM

you’re so right that these things matter very little sometimes and it’s important to hug, hold, cherish and love a bit more this week. Joy

• Hollee Temple March 21, 2011, 6:18 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. We will all be here when you are ready to be back. Let us know how we can be here for you.

• Louise Edington March 21, 2011, 6:48 PM

So sorry for your loss. Hugs coming your way and yes, you need to support those around you and YOURSELF through this time. Thinking of you.
    Louise

• Lynette Hoy March 21, 2011, 7:06 PM

Congrats on all you are doing. I applaud you. I am so sorry for your loss, and you are doing everything right. I know from watching my family and friends go through what you are talking about as well as myself. I know you know you will come out the other side a changed person, a better person. It comes through great sacrifice, love, and just “being”.

Keep walking the dogs. Talk to them, they will help! Make sure your husband and the kids do too. It sounds funny, but it is so true. Communication with animals helps in times like this a lot.

You are the spirit of the mompreneur.

Take good care of yourself; you will be in my thoughts.

Lynette Hoy

• Haralee March 21, 2011, 7:40 PM

I am sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts for strength during this time.

• Laurie Hurley March 21, 2011, 7:47 PM

Rachel – my deepest prayers and thoughts are with you and your family right now. You tend to the personal aspects of life – the rest will wait for you. Big, warm hug from me to you.

• Nicole Fende March 21, 2011, 9:40 PM

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry. I know personally how hard it is to lose a parent, and my husband’s support was crucial at that time. The work (and all of us!) will be here when you get back. Family trumps all. Hugs and prayers are coming your way.

• John Paul Aguiar March 22, 2011, 8:34 AM

Rachel..Great post.

Sorry to hear about your father n law.

But you are right.. we all need to step away at some point.. as important as our online life/business are, family comes first.

Take the time to do you the site and readers and ideas will be here when you get back 🙂

• Maddie November 21, 2011, 4:12 AM

I agree with you John. Thanks for sharing this post Rachel.
      Maddie recently posted..rentwareMy Profile

• Erika Gold Kestenberg March 23, 2011, 5:57 AM

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Rachel. I’m sorry for your loss. Just do what feels right in your heart this week. The “stuff” of life, big and small, will be just fine waiting until it is time to pick it all up again…

• Denisse Marie March 24, 2011, 11:36 AM

So sorry. When we need to step away we need to really think about what’s important. When it comesvdown to it- its really all about family. I will be praying for your family.

• Rachel Blaufeld March 24, 2011, 1:11 PM

I am so appreciative of all of your warm wishes….thanks so much! I am back (a little bit)…..hope to be in full swing next week! RB