a few little gems to keep you & me sparkling

It has been a roller coaster of a winter that began with my mom having major back surgery and ended with my father-in-law passing.  I do not want to make this post all about the ups and downs of my life over the last few months, but rather about where my life will take me now.  Beyond still supporting my mom, being there for my kids, and lending a shoulder for my mother-in-law to cry on…..I also really need to get my ass in gear with my mompreneur travels.  Throughout the winter, I felt proud that I was still continuing to check items off my to-do list while dealing with the swell of personal crises surrounding me.  Now that spring has sprung (I think – it is snowing a bit today), I am ready to forge ahead with a new attitude.  Just like the sun will be shining daily (maybe), I plan to sparkle again in my pursuits.

This morning in an attempt to get back in a sparkly frame of mind — I am pulling out a few of my favorite gems of information.  These little crystal nuggets can help both you and me push forward in our journey:

PUT YOUR PENCIL TO THE PAPER AND WRITE YOUR ONE SENTENCE –

Tory Johnson, at Spark and Hustle, urged us to figure out “What do you want?” and to be specific in our answers.  This will help in not getting stuck in the Dreaming part of the equation, Dreaming, Deciding, and Doing!  Along the same lines, Tory also encouraged us to think about “What is it about you?” that makes this happen, and to craft a 1 sentence description about ourselves to present to others.  My sentence is a work in progress…..but looks a little bit like this:

“I am a Mom, Mompreneur, Blogger, Writer, Life Change Conduit taking a product to market while inspiring, connecting, and sharing my experiences along the journey with other moms needing a change and to get their groove back.”

BE A BIG FISH IN A LITTLE NICHE –

Rick LaPoint, marketing guru, caught my eye in a piece on How to make your blog famous that he wrote for ComLuv.  Rick gives a virtual thumbs up to being a “Big Authority in a Little Niche.”  It may go against everyone’s belief to try to be everything to all people, but you can become famous in a niche that you LOVE.

AS A MOM, SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO LET IT GO –

Becky Beaupre Gillespie, co-author of The New Perfect, candidly retells her nasty bout of guilt over RSVPing to a speak at a work-related event before knowing there was a learning fair at her daughter’s school.  Becky recalls telling herself to “let it go” and that it would all work out.  As moms, we need continual affirmation that it is OK not to be perfect and to let it go!  That is what Becky and her co-author, Hollee Temple, give us, and it is just what we need as moms and mompreneurs.

BE DOGGED IN YOUR BIZ PURSUITS & STRESS RELIEF –

Sometimes, I need to take my own advice!  On my StartupNation Blog, I opened up about being wrapped so tight that I was not able to clear my mind at yoga.  I set a goal for myself to be dogged not only as a mompreneur, but also in my downward dogs.  I have let that goal go by the wayside over the last week or two, but it is now time to get back on track…….so, off to publish this blog and go to yoga.

More later – RB

• Kathy Osth March 24, 2011, 8:08 AM

This is good stuff, Rachel.

• Fresh Brothers March 24, 2011, 10:32 AM

Rachel – I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sending you hugs, love and prayers from the West Coast.
    XO
    Debbie

• Fiona Stolze March 24, 2011, 2:02 PM

Rachel, lovely to hear from you again and see you lifting your spirits despite what is going on around you. I’m thrilled that you are going to yoga lessons. I started yoga many , many years ago and find it beautiful. Stick with it and you’ll soon start to notice the benefits.

I especially loved the part you shared about being a big fish in a small niche as that applies to me in my current situation. I thought for a while that because I was in a niche market, there wasn’t a lot of money to be made. That’s just one of my limiting beliefs. Giving it my own particular spin and constantly bringing in the new can turn that around for me.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Inspired Art and Living

• Rachel Blaufeld March 28, 2011, 2:14 PM

Nicole & Fiona – I really resonate with the big fish in a little niche theory, too. We do not need to be everything to everyone, but rather a teeny tiny little expert! Rachel

• Nicole Fende March 24, 2011, 9:34 PM

Rachel I hope there’s lots of sparkle and glitter for you the rest of 2011.

I love the Big Fish in a Little Niche statement. The image I draw on is the life cycle of crocodiles. When they are born they are tiny, and very few make it to adults. The ones who do are the ones who will some day rule the roost (ok I’m mixing images here but its late).

We need that first stage to grow, learn and develop before we get to be the big croc on the block.

• Haralee March 25, 2011, 6:56 PM

Howl or bark during your downward dog, get rid of the stress!

• Janice Schwarz March 26, 2011, 8:52 AM

Big Authority in a Little Niche…good advice not just for blogs but business in general.

And I’ve been learning to let go by looking for more help with the business. The more I can get off my plate, the more I can spend time promoting the business and spending time with my family too.

• Rachel Blaufeld March 28, 2011, 2:13 PM

Janice – I am learning to ask for help. It is hard, but I am trying to do it! Rachel

• Denisse Marie March 26, 2011, 2:42 PM

Thanks for these little gems! I am going to put the first one into practice and write my one sentence.

• Rachel Blaufeld March 28, 2011, 2:12 PM

Denisse – How is your sentence? I am inspired to improve mine….Rachel

• Denise Gabbard March 27, 2011, 6:37 PM

Hey Rachel– You are right about being dogged in business and relaxation. It’s important to make a distinction and separate the two…I know that I have often stressed myself out by not setting limits to how long I’d work each day–and that causes the wrapping too tight you speak of! Going to make a much better effort to relax more.

• Rachel Blaufeld March 28, 2011, 2:11 PM

Denise – Maybe we can hold one another accountable? That may help! Rachel

• Maddie November 21, 2011, 4:15 AM

Lovely post Rachel. You are totally right on this post with being dogged. Keep on writing with us. Thanks. xx
    Maddie recently posted..rentwareMy Profile