Healthy, Energetic, Fit Mompreneur

Last week, I revealed my ups and downs of going from stay-at-home mom to woman entrepreneur.  Although mostly subtle, there are definite differences in life before and after Back’NGrooveMom.  One exercise that I suggest to budding mompreneurs (whether they were SAHM’s or in a different job) is to make a list of what they could and could not surrender from life as they knew it.

For me, and something I think all moms should consider, exercise is not something that I could take out of my schedule.  I could give up balling socks or even cooking dinner every night (my boys LOVE Subway), but exercise was key to my overall performance and health. I know that exercise is time-consuming and hard to fit in, but check out my video on ways to make sure you fit exercise in your busy life!

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhfUq-X-IK8?rel=0&w=640&h=390]

Yesterday was Sunday and the weather was GORGEOUS!  The whole family exercised – walked, rode bikes, and played basketball in the yard – what a difference it made (even with the dogs).  By evening, all of us felt so great AND I know that we will get a fabulous night’s sleep which will lead to an extremely productive tomorrow!

Try my tips AND please leave any tips on fitting exercise in to our busy routines below … Sharing healthy mom tips is fabulous! Rachel

• Jennifer Scanlon April 11, 2011, 9:00 AM

Rachel:
    i could not agree more. Scheduling “you” time is so important and so hard for some to understand. I work full time have two small kids why would i want to take more time away from them for me. I feel that if i am taking care of me in the long run they get a healthier, more energetic, functional me! I have decided that what needs to give because something does, is the immaculate house and sleep. So the alarm sounds around 4:40 a.m.and i am exercising at 5 or at boot camp by 5:30. Thanks for the great blog.
    Jennifer

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:32 AM

Jen – You are to be admired! It is so hard to get up that early to exercise, but you know how important it is to fit it in! Keep it up! Rachel

• Susan Berland April 11, 2011, 12:17 PM

I use your tip about scheduling. If I didn’t have my exercise in my calendar I wouldn’t do it. It becomes part of my routine. And interestingly, I find that if I can’t do it at the time I have scheduled, even if I have time later I often miss it. So it’s important to me to stick to my commitment. It’s a commitment to me, to my health and well being.

Another thing I find really useful, when I can, is to exercise with a friend. It helps pass the time and allows me to accomplish two things at once – exercise and spend time with a friend. Rather than meet for coffee or lunch, why not meet for a hike or a walk or a bike ride. Something and somewhere where you can talk. It’s delightful!

Susan Berland
    A Picture’s Worth

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:34 AM

Susan – I try to walk with a friend on the weekends – it does seem to hold me accountable for exercising, and keeps me from not getting sucked into only running around with the boys! Good tip! Rachel

• Alara Castell April 11, 2011, 2:39 PM

Great tips:) Thanks for sharing. Definitely gives me the heads up so when I have children I know…

• Haralee April 11, 2011, 2:42 PM

Exercise and being outside makes everyone feels good. If you can’t get outside, exercise inside works too!

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:35 AM

Haralee – I aim for both, but find outside exercise so much easier to motivate towards! Rachel

• Donna McCord April 11, 2011, 3:33 PM

Rachel, you are a natural on camera!! Love your energy and inspiration! I totally agree about the exercise thing…I have committed to do that since I was in my 30’s (so for about 30 years now!) and if there are times when I have to stop (illness,etc.) I really can tell the difference! When I was single I would commit to doing my exercise in the evening after getting home from work; then when I became a mom I switched to doing it in the morning, and that is what I have done ever since. I just, as you suggested, make it part of my schedule first thing each morning and do whatever I feel like doing that day! I hope everyone seeing your video will be inspired to make exercise a part of their day!

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:36 AM

Donna – Thank you for the compliment!
      I find that morning is easier for me with the kids, but there is the occasional time, I sneak in an afternoon workout 🙂 Rachel

• Judy Stone-Goldman April 11, 2011, 3:53 PM

I write a schedule every day and put exercise at the top of the list–and I’m not raising children! I couldn’t function without a schedule, and even when I don’t get to everything, it helps me keep track of important tasks. I love doing my exercise in the morning because then I feel really free the rest of the day.

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    “My cat owns me, my clutter stymies me, my writing frees me. Word maven loves—and learns from—ordinary life.”

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:38 AM

I am a scheduler, too – Judy! Without my lists and lists, I am lost….Rachel

• Jillian Todd April 11, 2011, 5:33 PM

This is absolutely on time for me right now (no pun intended). I have let my lack of schedule get in the way of everything I need to get done: especially personally. I have not been scheduling time for myself and have thought “oh, well, tomorrow”. I actually pulled out my time block calendar the other night and started a new outline. This week I am back in business! Such great tips; keep ’em coming!
    Jillian Todd
    Jillian Todd Portrait Couture

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:37 AM

Good Luck Jillian – keep your calendar because once it is written down, it is harder to skip! Rachel

• Laurie Hurley April 11, 2011, 6:16 PM

Since my foot injury and the end of my competitive running career, I have been struggling with exercise regularly. So, I invested in a T-Zone Vibrating machine. Ten minutes a day shakes me up and wakes me up! I really works! I also shake and bake at night – so 20 minutes a day. Fabulous! I do Pilates twice a week and stretch everyday. The T-Zone has been my saving grace. I will head out to the trials and walk but my foot will only holdl up for about 3 miles. I am used to running 1/2 marathons so that seems so short to me! Shake it is what I say!

• Shoshanna Nutrition evolution April 11, 2011, 7:07 PM

Good for you for continuing to exercise! it’s such a key component of optimal health. Plus it makes for a happier and healthier mom therefore a happier kid!

• Joan Autry April 11, 2011, 7:33 PM

Rachel, you’re a natural on-camera! What a pleasure it was to watch you! I agree, exercise should never be skipped! How often do I skip it–far too much! But, it also helps me be more creative, come up with solutions to problems and have a chance to work off stress…there are so many ways that exercise improves our lives! I appreciate your help in finding ways to fit it in! Great post!

• Rita Brennan Freay April 11, 2011, 9:36 PM

Great tips and advice Rachel…scheduling is the only way it gets done! I used to work with a trainer…and then it was a no brainer…then came the trips…and everything changed! Making it a family affair is a great way to get some excercise in…and having a buddy reallly helps too….more accountability! Thanks for the motivation to get back to scheduling me time:)

Rita Brennan Freay
    @Rita4kids
    ritabrennanfreay.com

• Maridel Bowes April 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Good tips, Rachel. I watch my daughter-in-law who is a mom of three including a young baby and her own business, make room for exercise on a regular basis — and how good it makes her feel. I’ve been a big walker in my life, but at the moment all I have are the stairs in my condo and I’m grateful for them!

• Pat Zahn April 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Pilates reformer works the best for me, though I had to quit to adjust our family budget. I tried to do something else, but ended up hurting myself – long boring story. Anyway, I’m ready to go back to Pilates but I need to find a new place. I agree, scheduling is the best way to make sure it happens.

• Rachel Blaufeld April 12, 2011, 4:40 AM

Pat – I also used to do pilates, but cut it out because it was so expensive. I am looking for a group pilates mat class – I think those are fun. Have you tried yoga? Rachel

• Pat Zahn April 13, 2011, 5:56 PM

Yes, I’ve tried yoga, but I have problems with my hyper-extensive joints, and a little arthritis in knee, so that’s why I like the reformer – can be expensive though. I have a couple yoga tapes (hard to be disciplined though) and if I end up back in a class I know I can adjust to allow for my body.

• Yvonne Hall April 11, 2011, 11:31 PM

this is my weakness, taking time for me. The gym was cut out years ago, but it wasn’t being used anyway. I tend to do things with the kids but it is never enough to work any real fat off. But strength and cardio are still good in my fluffy state!
    Yvonne Hall

• Brandy Mychals April 12, 2011, 7:10 AM

I walk my daughter to and from school (sometimes ride) but that’s about it for now as I recover from an injury. When better, I love to use the trampoline…but Laurie’s comment about vibrating was interesting – LOL!
    Brandy Mychals
    Speaker, Author, Communications Coach
    Creator of the Character Code System

• Nicole Fende April 12, 2011, 8:07 AM

You are absolutely right that everyone wins with exercise. I feel better, I’m happier and yes I get better ideas for my business! I’ve found that when playing with my 2 y.o. daughter I can get great strength training by picking her up, twirling her, “airplane” (oh my abs!). Just be creative.

• Rachel Blaufeld April 13, 2011, 3:07 PM

Nicole – I miss the days of being able to lift my boys for exercise — if I did that now — I would be laid up with a bad back 🙂 Rachel

• Molly Perry April 12, 2011, 8:18 AM

Now that I am in my 40’s exercise seems so important because my metabolism is sloooowwwing down. This past year has been difficult to fit it in though–onset of migraines on an all too often basis and a sore lower back. However, I’m squeezing in what I can because I need it. Thanks for the tips.

• Louise Edington April 12, 2011, 9:05 AM

Thanks for the kick up the butt Rachel! I have been letting exercise slide (ignoring the schedule!) and I can feel it! In fact I am going to find a yoga class, walk the dogs RIGHT NOW and order the exercise bike I have been looking at. I’m 51 now and do NOT want to end up like my mom!!!
    Louise Edington
    Facing Fears For Freedom Over Fifty

• Jennifer Duchene April 13, 2011, 1:34 AM

Love your energy on the video. You are great! and this is something I absolutely have to do. I walk my dog daily sometimes three times a day, but I need to be doing more. This morning I told myself its time to join the gym. I want to Zumba, do yoga and build muscle & tone.
    Scheduling is an excellent tip, as well as doing it with a friend or having an accountability partner. It’s harder to slack off then!

Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress blending lifestyle laughter and Diva Dens

• Rachel Blaufeld April 13, 2011, 3:06 PM

Jennifer – keep me posted on your progress! Thanks for the compliment! Rachel

• Darcie Newton April 13, 2011, 12:47 PM

I’ve have found exercise is like the airplane emergency guideline of “put your mask on first, before putting the mask on your child.” If we don’t take care of ourselves there will be nothing left to give to others.

The challenge for me was finding the type of exercise I love…for awhile it was Bikram Yoga now it is leaning toward Zumba. It changes as your life changes.

Darcie Newton
    Wine not whine.
    More nature than nurture.
    Discipline for profit, none for triple cream brie.

• Rachel Blaufeld April 13, 2011, 3:06 PM

Darcie – I like that analogy with the airplane emergency! I also have found that as life changes, so do my exercise interests! Rachel

• Dr. Dorothy Ponton April 13, 2011, 7:45 PM

Rachel,
    Love your commitment and fire in the video. I’m going to share it on my FB business page. These tips are the perfect start for anyone who needs to get exercise into their lives regularly. I’d love to know more about figuring out what exercises are the best fit. What calls someone to Pilates vs. Yoga? Indoor vs. Outdoors? Solo stuff like running vs. group classes & bootcamps?
    Even though I know how good regular exercise is for me, I go through phases of not getting enough. My job keeps me active (adjusting is a lot of work!), but there’s something about exercise that is different than just being active. Perhaps it is the combination of making the time for yourself, getting a good sweat going, and feeling the afterglow.

• Robbie Schlosser April 13, 2011, 11:40 PM

Hi Rachael,
    What a nice video — wish I could be so natural, relaxed, and down-to-earth. Thanks for those three wonderfully easy tips for staying fit and energetic. Until today, I haven’t exercised regularly, except for carrying and playing my string bass and moving our PA system. I’m a slave to my schedule. Helps me stay so busy and productive. Now you’ve inspired me to schedule exercise, too.

• Bill Browning April 14, 2011, 11:59 AM

Great advice. I coach my business clients to take great care of themselves – it makes financial sense.

To my wellness clients, I expand exercise to include activity as long as you’re moving, doing something you love, at least 30 minutes per day, moderately intense (dancing,swimming, biking, golf (no cart) etc).

• Fiona Stolze April 14, 2011, 1:28 PM

Hi Rachel, loved your video. Your tips are really good. I particulary resonated with picking something you love. I used to get forced to do things when I was younger that I didn’t enjoy. Today I stick to only those things I love, ie. yoga. And the point about scheduling your time for this is great. I find that when I don’t schedule things, they don’t happen. Enjoyed listening to you.

Inspired Art and Living

• Karen Reynolds April 14, 2011, 3:02 PM

Hi Rachel;
    Your post reminds of what one of my wise trainers says: Fail to Prepare=Prepare to Fail. It’sssss alll about the scheduling and good for you that you are scheduling family time, exercise and quality time.
    Karen~

• Janice Schwarz April 21, 2011, 3:57 PM

I’ve had a terrible time making me time for exercise. My new plan: the gym during lunch. It’s not what I love but it’s close and convenient. When scheduling is a bit easier in a few months, I’ll switch to some dance classes. Unless they have a few at the gym…

• Rachel Blaufeld April 26, 2011, 7:58 PM

Janice – I am impressed that you are making time at all – you have such a hectic schedule! way to go…RB

• Healthy tips blog May 2, 2011, 1:18 PM

Hello I am always researching for ways to stay healthier, I like your blog post! This is actually really good info!