An inspiration to all moms, one mompreneur finds her groove

Here on Back’NGrooveMom, I am always open and honest with you, my readers, regarding my transition and the absolute craziness of being a mom and a mompreneur.  As I embark on some changes and additions on the site, I wanted to share a really special story with you all.  Back’NGrooveMom is a place for all moms who need to jump-start their groove whether it be right after baby #1 or after years of staying-at-home.

Having a baby, becoming a mom, and balancing it all with a career is an extremely difficult task on its own.  Coupled with postpartum depression, all of the aforementioned can seem nearly impossible.  We often keep postpartum depression very quiet and private, but today’s featured mom bravely describes her transition with baby #2, postpartum depression, starting her own business while working, and finding her groove all over again!

Growing up, I always knew that my life was going to revolve around kids.  Whether it be babysitting neighbors, watching my nieces and nephews, my career, or my own children, I knew my life would not be complete without the excitement and chaos of kids!  Following my heart, I went to school for Child Development.  Right after graduation, I got a job as a Behavior Specialist at a school for children with special needs.  At the time, I was in my early twenties, renting an apartment, and spending money on having fun.  Then, came getting married, buying a house, more responsibility, but also the excitement of starting a family of my own.

When I had my daughter I thought life could not get any better! The joy of being a mom was so overwhelming to me that I could not imagine how I survived without her. When my maternity leave was over and I had to return to work, I never realized how hard it would be to go back.  My beautiful baby girl was home with a sitter, but I kept going because of  my dedication to the kids.

About a year and a half later, I decided one child wasn’t enough, and it was now time for baby number 2!  After baby #2, a son, something happened that I did not plan for – postpartum depression.  At the hospital, I sat there with my husband, my daughter, and my brand new baby boy and thought “Life is really perfect now!!”  However 3 months later, I started every day with crying in the shower.  I decided to go to my doctor and sure enough, postpartum depression hit me.  Something that I thought would never happen to me….I loved my kids and I loved my life, but it was more overwhelming to me than I ever thought.

The second time when I had to return to work, it was not the same excitement as it was in the early years.  I still loved the kids and loved the idea of helping them, but I just could not handle it the way I used to.  Every night I came home saying that I just could not handle it anymore and was going to quit.

I contacted Rachel looking for help with ideas.  After talking with her I realized, I didn’t need to leave working with kids altogether, I just needed to change the way I worked with kids.  I am still working in my “job”, but a coworker and I decided that we were going take our expertise of behavior management with kids in a new direction.  After being around so many parents and hearing them say “I just don’t know what to do anymore. My son/daughter is out of control,”  we realized there is a major need for educating parents.  These parents needed a new way on how to effectively manage their child’s behavior.

That is how we formed EXHALE Consulting  (EXHALE = Expect Help and Lasting Effects)!  We prepare workshops for parents who find themselves struggling with structure, discipline, and self-care.  We set up a curriculum to offer as a community class or group sessions in people’s homes.  In our workshops, parents will learn how to set and stick to rules, keep their lives organized, understand positive reinforcement and consequences, and leave with a whole new bag of tricks to take home.

Although I still feel that I have some changes I need to make to my chaotic life, I am certainly getting my groove back by taking care of myself, but ALSO by taking what I love to do and shifting it into a new way that works for me! – Megan

My heart thumps with pride every time that I read this recollection myself.  To be a mom, tackle postpartum depression, work, and become a mompreneur ALL at the same time! Thanks to Megan for sharing her story….Megan, you truly are a strong, brave mom who is feeling her groove!

Megan’s and my work together was just the beginning of a great adventure. – Rachel

Have you tackled any of these issues?  Did your perspective on your job change after baby #!?  #2?  Were you affected by postpartum depression?  Did you or Do you want to  be a mompreneur? Where did you start?

• Irene Turner May 2, 2011, 12:32 PM

I think sometimes we have an experience to propel us in the direction of our destiny. It sounds like this woman’s post partum positioned her to begin a business that will help many, and isn’t that a great thing!

• Rachel Blaufeld May 3, 2011, 10:48 AM

Irene – I know! Not only did Megan accomplish a great deal BUT her idea is FABULOUS and helpful! Rachel

• Haralee May 2, 2011, 1:33 PM

Good for Megan talking about her depression after her second birth! Sharing is empowering and very courageous!

• Susan Berland May 2, 2011, 3:03 PM

The moms of today are lucky that postpartum depression is recognized and treated. When I had my children (they are 40 and 42) this was not talked about. I am lucky and grateful I did not suffer from postpartum depression. Megan’s story will give hope to many Moms out there. Thanks for what you do Rachel and for sharing Megan’s story.

Susan Berland
    a Picture’s Worth

• Donna McCord May 2, 2011, 4:13 PM

It’s so wonderful to read a story like this where people take their painful experiences and use them to help others cope with their own. It was tough for me to cope with going back to work after my daughter was born, probably because I knew she would be my one and only and I was so protective of her — it was hard to leave her in the care of someone other than myself! At least for the first 3 months that I had to go back to work, I was able to leave her with my sister. Looking back, I was never diagnosed with post partum depression, but I may have suffered from it without realizing what it really was. In any event, I am happy that there are women like you out there to offer such loving support and care for moms who need it.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 3, 2011, 10:49 AM

Donna – thanks so much for your honesty! Leaving our babies (no matter what age) is so difficult. As women, we have to stick together. Rachel

• Judy Stone-Goldman May 2, 2011, 6:54 PM

This is a wonderful and inspiring story. It affirms what we know but need to be reminded of over and over: painful life events can propel us in wonderful new directions. I am grateful that Megan had access to up-to-date and helpful medical care so she could get back to the business of life and loving!

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    “My cat owns me, my clutter stymies me, my writing frees me. Word maven loves—and learns from—ordinary life.”

• Molly Perry May 2, 2011, 8:07 PM

I’ve had postpartum depression–not fun. It is so nice that there is help out there now. People don’t have to be scared to share anymore. Thanks for sharing.

• Laurie Hurley May 3, 2011, 12:05 AM

One of the benefits of adopting – no hormones to deal with, but other big issues, as you know. This is a lovely story and it’s great that you and Megan have reached out to other mom’s in need. From what little I know of post-partumm depression, it can be debilitating and I am sure you will help many women “get their groove back”. 🙂

• Brandy Mychals May 3, 2011, 7:47 AM

Very inspiring what Megan created…it’s incredible what women do and what we can do…and then we add motherhood on top of that 🙂
    Brandy

• Rachel Blaufeld May 3, 2011, 10:50 AM

You are right Brandy — being a mother makes for 2 full-time careers! Rachel

• JuliAnn Stitick May 3, 2011, 8:30 AM

Thanks for your post! I love how you “listened” for what would work for your life once you had “chillie bear” number two. There is a saying that says “pain is the touchstone of progress”. You paid attention to the pain and that led to working your passion! Thanks for sharing with us. Smiles, JuliAnn

• Fiona Stolze May 3, 2011, 9:25 AM

I can totally relate to this. After I had my second child I really hit the floor. Unfortunately I found no relief and I went on in a muddled way for a few years before having a third child. I’m pleased for Megan that she found the courage to turn things around. Stories like these are such an encouragement to other mums who want to create a life they really want.

And I love the name of her business.

Inspired Art and Living

• Rachel Blaufeld May 3, 2011, 10:51 AM

The name – Exhale – it is great! I know you love breathing, Fiona, and we all have to do more of that as parents! Rachel

• Louise Edington May 3, 2011, 9:58 AM

I had post partum depression after baby #1 – hit me like a TON of bricks and so unexpected as I had always wanted to have kids and didn’t have my first until I was 37. I too totally reassessed my life after PPD but then the same happened after moving here from Australia.
    I was depressed after the move (never diagnosed or treated but looking back I was SO depressed) and I have again really reassessed my life and now have a TON of ideas about helping other women turning fifty face up to their fears and come into their own in their fifties. I plan to do that alongside my social media marketing coaching – I finally have a purpose and a plan!
    Louise Edington
    Fearless Over Fifty

• Alara Castell May 3, 2011, 11:01 AM

Wow! I’m not a mom yet, but I am an entrepreneur and one day I will be a mompreneur. What I love about what you shared is the transformation…As most entrepreneurs we are called to do something and usually it stems from our own experiences just like the story above. I love how things are given birth from our own pain. It truly is a beautiful transformation. Thanks for sharing this.

Alara K. Castell
    Your Sassy Spiritual Guide

• Julie Labes May 3, 2011, 12:08 PM

I am lucky i never suffered with PPD with either of my kids. I went back to work right after with number one but was able to take him with me. i stayed home for 2 years with my daughter, i did get fed up but i think that was more of not having any adult interaction during the days.. I felt like my brain was turning to mush.

this is a wonderful story about taking your lemons and making lemonade. Wonderful that she was able to recognize what she needed and make it happen, not everyone is so lucky or even so inclined

Julie Labes,…The Fierce over 50 feels much younger point and click junkie loves to travel does not use a jogging stroller and before you ask this is NOT my granddaughter..Woman

• Nicole Fende May 3, 2011, 2:16 PM

Kudos Megan for sharing your story, and showing other Moms that PPD is not shameful, nor does it make you a bad Mom. Congrats on your new direction.

• Pat Zahn May 3, 2011, 10:06 PM

Rachel, thanks for sharing Megan’s story. I was thinking as I was reading it that she was so right going to the doctor. So many women feel guilty when they don’t feel “giddy” about becoming a mom (1st time or again) and a lot of us think we can just “get through” things through sheer force of will. Megan’s ability to change directions but still be true to herself is very inspiring and her business is very timely.

• Robbie Schlosser May 3, 2011, 11:40 PM

Another inspiring story! What a life you must be leading. Like everybody, I’m occasionally depressed about one thing or another, but I’m sure that’s small potatoes compared with what you and all these moms are describing. You set a fine example for how we can help each other crawl out of the darkness. Thanks!
    Robbie

• Maridel Bowes May 4, 2011, 12:32 AM

I was fortunate that I didn’t have post partum depression after either of my son’s births, but yes, my life did change after the second one. I remember telling someone, “In a way, life is easier now because I’m not trying to do anything else!” But as a momprenur, that’s not possible. My hat’s off to the young women today who make it all work and keep a sense of humor and enjoyment. You’re obviously one of them, Rachel!

• Fresh Brothers May 5, 2011, 5:14 PM

For me, being a momprenuer is all about creating a life, rather than working a job.

I did have to deal with some post-partum depression after having the twins. My hormones were totally out of wack and the adjustment of going from being a tv producer worker bee to being a stay home mom of two rugrats was tough!

Debbie