what’s the deal with Twitter?

I cannot tell you how many times I hear “What is the deal with Twitter?”  Or, “I don’t get that Twitter thing.”  While Facebook profiles seem to be universal now, the world appears to be divided on Twitter.  People either get it or they don’t.  I love Twitter.  I did not always love Twitter, but now I really love, love Twitter.  So, what is the deal really with Twitter?

Twitter is a lot of different things to a lot of people (approx 175 million registered users).  Twitter describes itself as being a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting.”  That is their broad-based one sentence on their company and it translates into many different applications.  Take it any way you want it….

A few weeks ago, a twitter friend of mine, Erica Diamond of Women on the Fence, tweeted that she loved twitter even though some of her friends still did not get it.   I agree….I love Twitter despite some do not “get it.”  Here is why….

For many, Twitter is a way to follow celebrities and live vicariously through their words.  For others, Twitter is a “check-in service” with a few extra characters to add a little more detail about where they are.  I agree that Twitter is best described as many have called it – a micro-blogging platform.  In 140 characters, you can update on “stuff” that is happening RIGHT NOW.  Some people use Twitter in all 3 of the above mentioned capacities.

So, what is so great about all this?  The information-hungry side of me loves the micro-blogging nature of Twitter.  Many social media experts talk about Twitter being in the present, the now — it is what is going on NOW, so when you log on, you get the latest “in the moment”, “in real time.”  I am not a social media guru by any stretch of the imagination, just a frequent user who has learned her way around a bit.  But, it is the NOW factor that I adore about twitter.

When I log onto Facebook, I love to see photos of friends and updates about events that are coming up, but I can do that at my leisure.  Twitter is different, when I log on – I see the news, opinions on the news, current events, & podcasts/twitter chats happening then and NOW!  While I agree that one cannot be on Twitter all day, the fascination of it for me does lie in the Present Nature of it AND makes me want more.

The added bonus to Twitter is connecting and meeting up with others who have similar interests.  You do have to be careful who you connect with and I cannot stress cyber-safety enough (and I am not addressing young children or teenagers here).  Remember – we did have pen pals across the globe when we were growing up and we did not know them either??

The search function on Twitter allows you link up with topics, groups, and people who are chatting and listening about whatever floats your boat and their boats.  There is a great bit of P.R. that you can gather and disseminate that you do not need to pay for with this ability to search and sift through topics and people.

If you are a mompreneur – new or seasoned – Twitter is a great place to start gathering information, contacts, and forming relationships…..stay tuned here to Back’nGrooveMom or follow our #hashtag on twitter to learn more.  If you have no idea what I mean by #hashtag – no worries – upcoming post on it and some marvelous #mompreneurs on Twitter. –Rachel

• Donna Amos May 18, 2011, 2:04 PM

I so agree with you, I love Twitter as well. When I first got on Twitter in 2008 I became obsessed and would spend way too much time. It has become a intregral part of my business.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 19, 2011, 9:40 AM

That is so smart, Donna! It is crucial to integrate twitter into your biz – Rachel

• Haralee May 18, 2011, 8:30 PM

I am on the ‘not in love yet’ side but I am willing to learn to fall in love with twitter. Lead the way Rachel!

• Geraldine May 18, 2011, 9:03 PM

Hey Rachel. When twitter first came out I said “that is such a dumb concept” & ” I would never sign up for that thing” Fast forward to today, I think its a great concept and I am actually signed up for it.

I do sometimes wish that I had more time to tweet…but I don’t. When I am logged in I love reading the updates, re-tweeting, making new friends, reading the quotes, promoting other people, promoting myself, etc.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 19, 2011, 9:41 AM

Geraldine – you do a great job of promoting your awesome product on twitter! Rachel

• Nicole Fende May 18, 2011, 10:04 PM

I was dragged kicking and screaming onto Twitter. I believed it was for tween crushes and teen angst.

Now I can’t imagine my business without. Rachel the NOW of Twitter is particularly compelling to me as well. However people should remember that there is a permanent record of what is tweeted in the moment.

For those still on the fence, start or join dialogues of interest. You will be amazed at the great people you can meet from all over the world.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 19, 2011, 9:42 AM

Thanks Nicole! yes – the NOW is amazing, but we do need to teach about the lasting effect of tweets. I love our daily twitter interactions! Rachel

• Fiona Stolze May 22, 2011, 7:42 AM

I have mixed feelings. I am on Twitter every day and enjoy tweeting. I am also a lot on FB and have had lots of very positive feedback and responses there on my 2 pages. Business wise I have had more response on FB. But I am continuing with my quest and seeing where it leads. I have made many lovely connections and am open to wherever it leads.

• Laurie Hurley May 22, 2011, 11:58 AM

Rachel – you know I LOVE Twitter for business. I do not connect with any celebrities that I know of, but Twitter has taken my business to an entirely new level. And MMS is the best! I schedule everything and when I am off galavanting somewhere, I know my business is being talked about! Powerful!!

• My @ tha Hotness.com May 23, 2011, 8:45 AM

I do love twitter because it is so instant. I haven’t been there as often as I used to be. I’ve been hanging out on Facebook quite a bit.

• Denisse Marie May 25, 2011, 12:04 AM

Twitter is addicting! I have to be very disciplined when it comes to Twitter and Facebook. But coming from a business perspective of Twitter, I kinda wish I had more opportunities to use it recreationally. Someday when we have more than 24 hours 🙂 Definitely agree with you that it gives in to our “instant needs” for news and knowledge.