Groovalicious Must-Haves for Moms in Biz

My boys are leaving next weekend to go to sleep away camp for a MONTH!  Don’t grab your tissues just yet…..this is not my sappy, tear-jerking post about what in the world will I do for a MONTH without my boys.  This is the story of how a great idea was born out of packing them to leave.

My boys may leave next Sunday, but their luggage heads out this Wednesday, and being the organized mom that I am…..it is mostly packed.  This will be JB’s 3rd summer at the camp and BB’s first time going longer than a week.  Thanks to JB, I have some experience packing a boy to go to camp for a month and the ins and outs of what they really need.

For some of my friends whose kids are going for the first time, asking JB for the details has been an added bonus.  JB took the official camp packing list and made his very own “boys specific list.”  This is awesome for me, being a “girl,” I have different expectations about what to pack for a month away from home that involves more than ratty old t-shirts and body wash.

JB insists that there are different essentials for boys, and being the consumer that he is, they are brand-specific.  At the top of the list for JB is the Holmes Clip-On Fan, Axe Body Wash, and Banana Boat Sport Spray on Sunscreen (yes – the big companies’ advertising dollars are working).  I mean, who doesn’t want to smell on top of their game for these guys?

As I answered texts and calls regarding packing, it was almost as if lightning struck, and I had an amazing idea!  A few months ago, I wrote a post for StartUpNation on Do Not be Caught without these Items in Your Bag of Tricks.  Since then, I received great comments on additional mompreneur must-haves plus discovered a few more myself.  Now JB does not come by his consumerism by chance, I am a bit of a consumer myself.  I love fashion, shoes, technology, and make-up to name a few, and when I find a product that I love – I am loyal to the bone.

What better way to marry my flair for great products with my desire to help women in business than to provide a list of Groovy Moms in Biz Must-Haves?  Now, I am going to have to work on the official name (I hope that Anthony at Idea Mill is reading this), but for now be prepared to get the most up-to-date Moms in Biz Must-Haves each and every Thursday.  Every Thursday, I will provide the Back’nGroove Readers with a Groovalicious item that I fully endorse as a must-have for moms in business.

Just a little note, I do not do paid reviews on Back’nGrooveMom, so these will all be products that I use and love.  You may see anything on this list from the greatest portable beauty product to the most amazing smart phone app.  I am really excited for this new feature on Back’nGrooveMom, and I am thinking hard about what I want for my debut must-have this Thursday.

In the meantime, I will be taking suggestions for the list at rachel@backngroovemom.com.  Please include “must have” in the subject line and the name of the item and why you think it is a groovy must.  Of course, I will insist on trying the product first before including.  Which is an added bonus for me (not my budget) that I get to check out some of your recommendations.  Don’t forget that I will need a little retail therapy over the next month while my boys are away……

Try opening your bag and pulling out the 3 items that you cannot live without, and SHARE!

• Anthony July 11, 2011, 10:40 AM

Rach,
    Just want to let you I was reading this post! I am of course a devoted reader! Let’s get on it!
    ~a~

• Rachel Blaufeld July 11, 2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks A! Love your ideas already! Rachel

• Pat Zahn July 11, 2011, 2:07 PM

Like the new look – I’m all about the zebra lately, especially alternative color zebra. My bag is pretty sparse: wallet (has to be easy to get in and out of, DON’T like wrinkly bills – it’s Brighton), smart phone (angry about it right now, but it is still a must-have,) PURPLE pen (I’ll add a 4th and obvious: biz cards.)
    Pat Zahn recently posted..Sometimes I Don’t Want to Be a Grown UpMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 11, 2011, 7:06 PM

Thanks Pat! The smart phone and biz cards go everywhere with me, too! Rachel

• Sharon Hiebing July 11, 2011, 2:43 PM

How incredible that you have a son who is not only organized enough to provide you with a list of his needs, but confident enough to know what his needs are so that he can ask for exactly what he wants! You’ve done well.

So neat you got a great idea out of it too!

Sharon Hiebing
    Relocation Without Rose-Colored Glasses
    Sharon Hiebing recently posted..Belize Boredom – Expat Concern SeriesMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 11, 2011, 7:07 PM

Thanks Sharon….Sometimes the best ideas come out of nothing! Rachel

• Debe Bloom July 11, 2011, 2:59 PM

I just took a trip into my slim-on-purpose purse and have chosen to share the top 3 things that I won’t leave home without: My ATM card…my color palette for clothes…my eyeglass cloth. Not very exciting, but so practical for me! I need to be able to see clearly the colors that I should be wearing, and of course, need my plastic to make the purchase!
    I appreciate your idea of a list of must-haves: I’m a strong believer in less is more and if we can stick to the basics, we could be just that much more ahead of the game1

• Rachel Blaufeld July 12, 2011, 10:54 AM

Debe – as a new inductee to wearing reading glasses, I will have to investigate one of those cleaning cloths! Rachel

• Rita Brennan Freay July 11, 2011, 3:05 PM

LOVE your new look Rachel!!! Wow, your son is already packed…holy cow! You are very organized! Can you come to my house?!?!? I think your son could be the packing adviser and charge a fee next year! Looking forward to your mom “must haves”….and trying out new things with you:) Right now in my bag my must haves are lip gloss, hand wipes (remember 4 kids), and a pen….do they count?!?!? Oh, and my android cell…..with apps for my kids!

Rita Brennan Freay
    @Rita4kids
    ritabrennanfreay.com
    Rita Brennan Freay recently posted..My Kindle reader…is my new best friend!My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 12, 2011, 10:55 AM

Rita – you know me – organized and more organized! ha! We are packed – luggage leaves tomorrow!
      I think that I will suggest an entrepreneurial venture for next summer for him – packing consultant! RB

• Donna McCord July 11, 2011, 3:51 PM

I am impressed, Rachel, with your organizational skills and also your relationship with your boys! How wonderful that they are able to go on such a great adventure and also how lovely that you get both help and inspiration from them! I really like your idea for your new blog and look forward to learning what items you will recommend. Right now, if I look into my bag, I could not live without my cell phone, or my organized clutch (with money, credit cards, photos, etc.), or my reading glasses!

• Judy Stone-Goldman July 11, 2011, 5:51 PM

I don’t pack for children but I do pack for a husband when we travel! We keep a master list for travel in general that lists the things we hate to forget–everything from travel pillow to cell phone to toiletry kit. If I could only have 3 items, I’d need my reading glasses (or else everything’s for naught!), a pen and pad for writing (do those count as two?), and my wallet with ID and credit cards.

Very impressed with your son’s enthusiasm and point of view!

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    “Word maven loves–and learns from–ordinary life.”
    Judy Stone-Goldman recently posted..Remembering Gratitude For My Eyes (Despite the Reading Glasses)My Profile

• Meredith Jacob July 11, 2011, 5:58 PM

I believe this is my first time visiting your blog. It is perfect for me, since I am a mom of 3 and run two businesses from home. I love your idea of sharing your must haves. I’m always up for some great tips for a work at home mom. This seems like it will be a fun series. I think one of my must haves that I always seem to forget to re-stock in my purse are my business cards. You never know when you are going to meet a potential client. So probably a cute business card holder would be a must have. Other than that, it has to be my iphone, which I lost about 2 months ago and almost completely lost my mind until I replaced it. Great post.
    Meredith Jacob recently posted..What is your learning style?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 12, 2011, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the site Meredith! Glad that you find it useful — take q quick inventory of other fab items that you use for biz and shoot me an email with a suggestion for me to try! Rachel

• Laurie Hurley July 11, 2011, 6:27 PM

Since I have girls, this was an eye opener for me. I would take your son anyday and was laughing that he knows exactly what brands he needs and likes – you have raised him well! As far as the top three items in my bag – lip gloss – but only from Bare Escentials, hip-looking reading glasses on an beaded chain – if my purse isn’t big enough, I just throw them around my neck and they look like an accessory, and believe it or not, my Tupperware bright green water bottle. It doesn’t stay in my purse, I usually carry it -but I like drinking water all day. Of course I have the money, phone etc – those are givens, but the three I mentioned are must-haves for me!
    Laurie Hurley recently posted..The Importance of FamilyMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 12, 2011, 10:57 AM

Laurie – the the bottle dishwasher friendly? I am looking for a new one! RB

• Julieanne Case July 11, 2011, 8:48 PM

Fun blog to read! Some boys don’t care what they wear or have. And others are just as particular as some of us women! So great that he can communicate what he needs and desires.

My 3 must haves are smart phone, credit cards, a filled recyclable water bottle!

Julieanne Case

• Julie Labes July 11, 2011, 9:10 PM

Wow, your son is so organised. Mine (who is headed off to college in 4 weeks) is the opposite..super intelligent and artistic but a complete airhead sometimes, so i do worry and know he will be calling asking where his bankcard, wallet, phone, clean underwear’ is..probably on his first day there

As for my 3 must haves…phone, reading glasses and the pics of my hubby and kids

Julie labes: The Fun-Loving, Feisty, Fearless, Frisky, Fierce Over 50 Traveler
    Julie Labes recently posted..Physically Challenged? No Reason Not To See The WorldMy Profile

• Robbie Schlosser July 11, 2011, 9:27 PM

What a vivid pink! Is this a girl’s blog, or what! Thanks for your interesting story. I’d peek inside my wife’s pocketbook to tell you a few of her essentials, but she carries around the equivalent of Fibbar McGee’s closet (ask your grandmother), so no can do. Nice that JB knows what he wants, but if I were a curious kid packing for a month away at camp, I’d skip the first aid and toiletries, and my first item would be a handy magnifying glass.
    Robbie

• Darcie Newton July 12, 2011, 12:57 AM

Having just returned for a vaca…my three essentials are my camera and the zoom lens (didn’t go anywhere without it), my kindle and my Maui Jim sunglasses.

Love the idea for the recurring posts…will be returning to read your future suggestions.

Darcie

• Brandy Mychals July 12, 2011, 8:52 AM

Wow! A month without kids – I can’t imagine! Bella was gone for a week on vacation with her dad and I couldn’t wait for her to get back…LOL! What are your plans? That’s the part that amazes me the most…a month!!!

As far as your “must have” idea – very creative, my friend. What about must have office toys? If yes, then I’ll tell you my favorite “toy” is the LabelWriter Twin Turbo (you can Google it) and it is just fabulous 🙂 As for my purse…it is a bottomless pit filled with endless surprises…
    Brandy
    Brandy Mychals recently posted..I Want to Outsource my Body Movement…My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 12, 2011, 10:59 AM

Brandy – it is a great month for them, a lonely month for me. Will be the little guys first time with his big bro other than a “tester” week last year.
      Frankly, I will catch up on all the stuff that I did not accomplish over the beginning of the summer, clean their rooms out, and wait for the mail!
      Pull out all the stuff from the bottom of your bag and send me a suggestion! Rachel

• Maridel Bowes July 13, 2011, 1:59 AM

Yes! The new look is so catchy and colorful…memorable. I love your new inspiration even though I’m not much of a product girl. But I must have my Fossil organizer purse, my Burt’s Bees lipstick and most recently, my Flip camera to capture any little thing that takes my fancy. It’s become a staple since I learned how to made stills from video. (And has its own little slot in my Fossil.)It feels like you are going to have so much fun with this, Rachel, and therefore, so will all your readers!

• Rowena Starling July 13, 2011, 10:57 PM

Must have, these days,items that go into my purse/bag that are not black OR purses/bags that are not lined in black! So sick of looking in a black (dark) bag for a black items “I could scream!” I’ll let you know if I think of anything else.

• Brenda Jones July 14, 2011, 2:29 AM

I am soooo looking forward to this new feature, although, I don’t think my pocket book is (shh, don’t tell my hubby). Now I’m thinking about my must-haves. I just switched to an iphone, and I’ll tell you I don’t know what took me so long! But what I love on my iphone is Pinterest. My friend’s droid can’t do it and the online has more features than the app, but it’s great for finding new ideas and organizing them in an easy way that you can find them again. I’m never without my R+F mineral peptides powder and brush. It’s a product I sell and it quickly replaced my Bare Minerals. I loved the Bare Minerals, but now I can also add peptide treatment… and our brush is like velvet. My other “love” item is my business card holder (ok, all of my various bags) from Gigi Hill. Very cute and fashionable. Not sure how often it’s seen out by you since it’s from my area.
    Brenda Jones recently posted..Facing Fear: A time to freeze or a time to sparkle?My Profile