Groovalcious Tech Gotta Get

Do you know what a QR Code is?  You may be wondering what all those square shaped little black bar-code looking things are that are popping up everywhere?  Well, that is a QR code.  A Quick Response Code is a 2-dimensional bar code that when scanned by a QR Scanner spits out text and/or URL’s.  Not so intrigued yet? You should be….taking the world by storm, QR codes are the way job searches are going, shopping for clothes is moving, and biz info is being disseminated.

The QR code is a fast-rising phenomenon showing up everywhere and anywhere from business cards to your local zoo.

Having the code on your biz card allows the recipient to quickly access your website and/or contact info.  The QR codes at the Pittsburgh Zoo allowed my boys to readily retrieve a web page with more info on the specific animal that they were visiting.

BUT, you can only do this if you have a QR Scanner which is easily available to download to your flavor of smartphone.

This week’s Groovalicious Gotta Get is a QR Scanner.  Whether you love, adore, or abhor technology…it is here to stay!  QR Codes are becoming increasingly more incorporated into daily life – both professional and personal.  Your kids are using them, so should you…..

I personally use the QR Reader for iPhone.  It is free and a no-brainer to use.  You just open the app and hold above the code and POOF – there you have the info!

Do you already use a QR Scanner? Which one? AND — share with us what you use it for (what makes it a Groovalicious Gotta Get)?

AND – if you missed last week’s Gotta Get — check here for this must-have mompreneur tote.

• Nicole Fende July 22, 2011, 12:13 AM

Rachel this is a great thing to highlight. I have heard about it (being the tech geek I am), however not sure what real impact it will have on people like me who sell services or digital goods. What are your thoughts?
    Nicole Fende recently posted..The Personalized Guide to Managing Your MoneyMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 22, 2011, 6:20 AM

Hi Nicole – What a great question!
    I think that the QR code is going to become universal on biz cards, paper info, etc as the real driver of traffic to your url. I also see it becoming the way to direct traffic to a specific url like your “finance rock star” class. I see the QR code being in the email/newlsetter to direct people right to where you want them to go and then they can get there on their mobile, ipad, etc.

The QR is becoming a major way for people to retrieve info about available jobs/employment and I am sure that we will see it more and more for services offered, pricing, and even tracking svcs/ soon.

Maybe a whole different post in this? 🙂 Hope that answers your question – Rachel

• Haralee July 22, 2011, 1:39 PM

I first saw this on a business card at a gift show this winter from a vendor, but I did not really understand the impact. Thanks for explaining.

I had not thought about using it as in a signature.
    Good info!
    Haralee recently posted..WelcomeMy Profile

• Denisse Marie July 23, 2011, 12:37 PM

How funny you wrote about this. I was contemplating writing a blog post on this. I also just recommended a client to place one on their business card and marketing material because she happens to do a lot of face to face networking. So it’s a great tool for those people she networks with to instantly get information on her company and the courses she offers. Your business card is one of the most important marketing tools – so you have to use the most of both sides. Putting a QR code on your card can go a long way for your business.

Thanks for the info!
    Denisse Marie recently posted..Are You Keeping Up On Social Media News?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2011, 9:29 PM

Thanks Denisse for the thumbs up! I am waiting for my site to be finished and then BAM – the QR code is going on my site…it is such a quick and easy tool! Rachel

• Dr. G July 25, 2011, 6:24 PM

Thanks for writing about this. I have been giving QR codes a lot of thought as I try to build my brand. The only obvious role I can see for them now is a way that people can get my “business card” without having to hang on to my actual card. So if I have a QR code on it that takes them to my homepage then they could toss or lose the card and still have “me.” Then it was suggested to me that QR codes are really most useful if they give the recipient something more special than just typing my url into their browser. I’ve been considering creating a “hidden” page on my site with tips to handling tough parenting situations in real time. Other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!
    -Debi

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2011, 9:32 PM

Debi – I think that the QR code is going to become an amazing resource for the exact reason that you are talking about…who wants to keep/input all those cards. Possibly – your QR code should go directly to your “contact us” URL?

I also like your idea for a hidden page — just for those you share the QR code with….not sure how to make that work from a technical aspect, but the thought of it is awesome!

Keep me posted! Rachel

• Dr. G July 26, 2011, 8:19 AM

Great, thanks. I have thought about having a QR code for my contact info that I can laminate onto my business card holder – that way anyone who prefers could scan that code when I meet them instead of taking a card.
        I’ll keep working on it and let you know.
        Dr. G recently posted..Don’t Kiss Me!My Profile

• Luke July 27, 2011, 6:08 PM

I just discovered what the heck are those things. I need to look for some application for my samsung phone.
    Luke recently posted..Get a degree fastMy Profile

• Anthony July 29, 2011, 2:03 PM

Gotta have the RedLaser app for te iphone. It rocks.