weaning my baby (ooops – I mean business)

I am going to let you in on a little secret – Breastfeeding did not work out for me.  There, I said it.  Please do not be confused…I know that I am writing about breastfeeding, and I also know where I am going with this.

Don’t get me wrong, I really tried to breastfeed my first baby.  I had consults, help from friends, spent hours on the phone with the lactation people and the night nurses on call, expressed milk, pumped milk, and shhhh’ed my mom when she kept saying “that baby is hungry.”  But, after a few weeks of really trying, my little guy was dehydrated and needed pedialyte in the doctor’s office.  Now, I am not writing this to start a battle between the breastfeeders and the bottle feeders, so please reserve all judgements (both sides).

Apparently, I don’t make a lot of milk.  That’s it.  I had a big eater on my hands, and I could not keep up with his needs…so to speak.  At the time, I felt like a tremendous failure (hello-hormones raging) and basically, bottle-fed my oldest son in the closet.  Bottom line is that it did not work and I needed to feed my baby.  Mostly, I felt alone on an island.

Why am I bringing this up now?  At the moment, I am feeling as crazy as I did during that time period except this time it is my business and I am not bottle-feeding, but rather force-feeding.  I want results now.  I want my google apps set up 3 days ago.  I want my website totally perfect a month ago.  I would like my product at market. I would just like a manicure and pedicure.  AND, guess what?  I have to pick my boys up from school in 40 minutes!!

Just like my boobs could not keep up with my son’s need to eat as a baby, I physically cannot keep up with the expectations that I put on myself.  Now, I know that I have come so far in such a short period of time and my mom is so proud of me and blah-blah-blah. BUT, my nails look awful; my disclosure page on my website is giving me an error message; and I am in a very in between stage of product development.

The difference is I do not feel alone on an island this time.  Instead of panicking in the closet, I reached out to my mompreneur friends and they jumped into action.  They offered – Want to chat?  Want to skype?  To all of you (you know who are)….Thanks for taking the time to understand my business, my pursuits, the level of discipline that all this requires, and supporting me.

As I finish this up, I think that I need to bottle-feed this baby (I mean business) a little bit.  A few ounces every few hours, and eventually, I will accomplish my dreams.  You know what happens when you over feed a baby – SPIT UP – and I definitely do not want my business to spit up.

(editor’s note — I wrote this yesterday as I was flying out the door for school pick-up.  It is off the cuff and real, but not meant to offend anyone.  I promote babies eating no matter how you choose – breast or bottle.  I also still need a mani/pedi.)

• Hollee Temple August 25, 2011, 9:19 AM

Hang in there — you know what they say about slow and steady and races. And haven’t you heard … Good Enough Is the New Perfect!:)
    Hollee Temple recently posted..Remembering the Things We Did, Not the Things We Didn’tMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld August 29, 2011, 11:29 AM

Hollee – I have heard that somewhere 🙂 Thanks for the encouragement! RB

• Pat Zahn August 25, 2011, 12:31 PM

Re: the breastfeeding thing – I had to quit after 6 weeks because my daughter practically sucked my nipple off – the last time I pumped the milk was pink – gross, right? Point is, she’s 17 now and I still feel a little guilty even though she is beautiful, bright and healthy. Smart to see the connection – there is more than one way to raise a healty child and more than one way to raise a healthy business.
    Pat Zahn recently posted..Direct Sellers: Please Behave Part 1 (I implore you)My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld August 29, 2011, 11:30 AM

Ha! Pat – I had the pink milk too — brings back a lot of memories! Thanks for the encouragement, and yes – we have to raise our kids and build our biz the way that feels good to us! RB

• Nicole Fende August 25, 2011, 6:02 PM

While I personally had no problems with this, I have a very close friend that never had her milk come in. She tried everything, but had to do strictly formula. What made me mad is all the people who tried to make her feel guilty over it. Get real. The important part is your child gets nutrition, not the medium. *end rant on soap box*

I never thought about the connection to my biz, but its brilliant. Thanks for sharing Rachel.
    Nicole Fende recently posted..Finance ImprovMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld August 29, 2011, 11:31 AM

Nicole – Thanks for the compliment! I am not sure about brilliant, but it makes the point! RB

• Dr. G August 25, 2011, 10:56 PM

Giving our children what they need, not what we want them to need, or want to give them, is our role as parents. And if your business needs your patience, when what you want to give it is the opposite, you are brilliant to recognize the difference!

Thanks for the analogy – you make me more self-aware as a new business-mom.
    Dr. G recently posted..Help! I’m Going Back to Work!My Profile

• jenny August 26, 2011, 1:33 AM

hang in there, you’re amazing and it really all will come together exactly the way it should! Nothing wrong with bottle feeding ;)Now go get that mani/pedi immediately. YOu deserve it! xo