Do NOT use Potty Mouth on FB

A few weeks ago there was a lot of chatter about being able to see when someone ‘unfriended’ someone else on Facebook with the new profile changes.  I am not sure if it was speculation or if it just has not gone into effect yet although I suspect the latter (I am trying to limit my reading of tech stuff because I get sucked into it like the tech geekess that I am).

When I first heard the noise about this, I got busy writing a post.  The post was obviously my thoughts on FB sharing my particular de-friending activity.  There are a lot of subjects that I know very little about, Facebook is not one of them.  I love Facebook, use it often, and know a few of the ins and outs.

The bottom line is I only de-friend for one reason.  Potty Mouth.  No, I do not mean traditional swearing, cussing, or the F-word.  I mean the actual discussion of Potty Shit  Stuff.

I cannot stand discussion of diarrhea, shitting, barfing, vomiting, or anything of the like on social media.  It is just so unappealing to log into Facebook and read that someone had the ‘runs’ all night.  Ick.

If you need to fart, crap, or gag, please get it out of my Facebook News Feed.  I really do not want to munch on my Protein Bar, sip my coffee, and read about your feces.

Why else de-friend someone?  If you said yes to being their friend, you must be sure that you want to be their friend.  Unless you had a BIG fight, lost them in a divorce, or they had Potty Mouth….That’s it.

Then, this post took a little turn of events, I realized that someone recently de-friended me.  It was actually no big whoop.  No one that I regularly see, and actually someone with lackluster posts about mainly topics that I do not care about.  I guess that they did not like my posts either so they cut me (and I never discuss my bathroom habits on FB).

I laughed about the whole scenario because I actually have done a few favors for this person, and I was just getting ready to add to the list of favors when I discovered I was no longer their friend.  I could take this to mean any number of things: he/she did not like my posts, did not value my help, or more than likely wanted to make room for 5000 followers (he/she is close).

Facebook determined a while ago that 5000 was the limit of how many personal friends that you can have and not upset the motherboard.  ‘Friend collectors’ need to let go of superfluous friends to make room for others to stay within the 5000 mark.

Honestly, the whole scenario tickled me, and I thought since we are all so public now, why not add a comment when we unfriend someone?  Just like we can (or did that change?) comment on the ‘activity’ when 2 people are new friends…we can comment on a unfriending.

I could write something like ‘have a wonderful time on the can without me’ and this person could possibly write about me ‘I needed to make more room because I am getting close to 5000 friends.’

The point is – Own your behavior in life and on the web.  Own it.

What is YOUR opinion? RB

• Nicole Fende October 26, 2011, 4:09 PM

Ok this post made me laugh. When I was a new mom I had once removed potty mouth (I talked about my kids poop). Fear not, that is long past me now!

I think I’ve only unfriended one or two people, and it was b/c they kept inviting me to every FB game under the sun and I got sick of saying no.

On Twitter if you SPAM me with DM’s I’m going to unfollow pronto.
    Nicole Fende recently posted..Escape From Land of the Lost (No Time Machine Required)My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld October 28, 2011, 4:03 PM

Nicole – I despise the DM”s —> they are the worst! RB

• Haralee October 26, 2011, 6:27 PM

I like that you have a code on topics off limits that will get the offender unfriended on FaceBook! It made me laugh.
    There are a whole bunch of movies that must be on your “No Talk About” list!
    Haralee recently posted..WelcomeMy Profile

• Wendy October 27, 2011, 7:38 AM

Funny! Since having kids, somehow, discussions of proper (or improper) BM’s has become socially acceptable. Weird. I use facebook a lot, but bathroom habits don’t need to be updated…none of us care. But that is just the start of the list which facebook (and other social media) shouldn’t be used for!!!

• Rachel Blaufeld October 28, 2011, 4:01 PM

Wendy — we should start a list of what is NOT acceptable! Can we include anything on baby spit up, too? RB

• Ali October 27, 2011, 8:58 AM

I am sooooo with you. I actually have never defriended anyone (too concerned about people’s feelings?), but I absolutely CAN’T stand when people make bathroom related posts. I don’t understand why people think their FB friends would be interested. It is nauseating. Come on, people, I don’t need to know your every move(ment)!
    Ali recently posted..What’s up with Vaginas?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld October 28, 2011, 4:02 PM

Ali – how about when they give you a minute by minute? every last detail of their movements? ickick – RB

• Sara October 27, 2011, 12:15 PM

Rachel,
    i dont mind the bathroom posts..the ones that drive me crazy are the big cryptic one-word posts that we all have to de-code to figure out what is going on with someone on that particular day. anyhow, about the de-friending. i recently went through and defriended some people, and the reason was simple. If you friended me, and then see me at a party or on the street and you ignore the fact that i am standing right next to you or pass by you, and you cannot be bothered to say hi, what is the point of being ‘friends’ on FB? I guess i feel like people can be at least friendly and say hello:-)

• Greece October 28, 2011, 7:59 AM

So true.. I just people like this! There are nonsense..
    Greece recently posted..Accommodation ChamonixMy Profile

• Vallerie October 31, 2011, 10:23 AM

Well maybe this is the power of social networking, we cannot ask anybody to think what will be the consequences before they type the words on FB.
    Vallerie recently posted..Trouble Getting PregnantMy Profile

• Laurie Hurley November 11, 2011, 11:31 PM

Wow, I feel so old! My kids are long past the age of discussing their bathroom habits… but I did recently unfriend someone for being a generally rude and a bully and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Very funny post. I think when my girls were little I didn’t talk too much about what was in their diapers – more about all the cute things they said and did, which only another devoted mother would enjoy. It was all good, but I agree with you about posting potty stuff online.
    Laurie Hurley recently posted..Learning Leadership Skills in High School? You Bet!My Profile