business trip (aka – aching heart)

Just a tiny post to say hello.  I am leaving for Washington, D.C. today because I am a special guest at the iRelaunch Conference.  This is such an honor, and I am super excited to connect and network at this event, and the keynote by Carol & Vivian, the founders of iRelaunch, promises greatness.

BUT – yes there is a BUT.  I just dropped my boys at school and even though I will only be gone 48 hours, my heart already aches for them.  This is the challenge for any mom, mompreneur, mom in business, working mom, or whatever you want to call yourself.  As we are called away from our families for work, extended family obligations, or a friend in need, we struggle with the separation from our kids.

We carried them for 9 months in our bellies or we anxiously answered the phone in the middle of the night to hear that we were getting a baby……We snuggled them for hours when they could not sleep and we drove around the block for an hour so they could sleep in the car……Now as moms, we need to go away for a day or two or a week, and it sucks.

My boys are 8 and just about 11, and I can tell you it does not get any easier.  I reminded them to call me, tell me who they ate lunch with, what they had for homework, and to make sure to be safe.  I yelled ‘I love you’ as they exited the car, and ss I pack my bags, I wish that I could get one more hug and kiss.

It is pouring and I am thankful that my mom is driving to D.C. with me for the 2 days. Yep, I get to have a little mother/daughter time in D.C., and my boys will be great!  TV, pizza, and basketball with dad (please don’t forget the homework).

I need to do this because as moms we all need something different for ourselves, and right now, I am making both myself and my family proud with my business forays.

Do you have trouble leaving?  Does your heart physically hurt when you are away from your kids?  Rachel

p.s. stay tuned for the vlog of my mom and me on the trip — should be very interesting……

• Emily November 29, 2011, 10:59 AM

Honestly, with the kind of day we’ve been having so far I would like nothing more than to be a week w/o my son.

That being said, I have a hunch that after a day I’d start missing him, and after 2 I’d start worrying…
    Emily recently posted..Does Extra Calcium REALLY Prevent Osteoporosis?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld November 29, 2011, 5:13 PM

emily – funny, when I am leaving — they behave?!?!

• Hollee November 29, 2011, 4:50 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Please hug Carol for me — I’ve never gotten to meet her in person! I have felt much the same way but I try not to dwell on it when I’m away. Enjoy the mom togetherness and you’ll be home before you know it!
    Hollee recently posted..Want Happiness? Paint Your Nails!My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld November 29, 2011, 5:14 PM

thanks hollee – I will say hello to Carol and give you a full report!

• Galit November 30, 2011, 9:06 AM

Greetings from SF. As a mom that travels a lot, I too feel physical pain when away from my kids… The only compensation is to hear my kids rave about their big shot director mom who is the boss of many people…

• Wendy November 30, 2011, 11:29 AM

I always beg for time away, but I am never that far in mind. I am always eager to get back. Funny about “who they sat with at lunch” my kids get so annoyed when I ask them that. Also funny, you’re going away with your mom. All grown up and she doesn’t want to be too far from her kid, either:)
    Wendy recently posted..Why Facebook has Taken away the Intimacy in Romance!My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld November 30, 2011, 5:20 PM

Why can’t I ask who they say with at lunch? drives me crazy….
      As for my mom – I don’t know what to say — she loves me!

• judy goldman December 1, 2011, 7:44 PM

Your Mom sure does love you!!

• Nicole Fende December 2, 2011, 8:20 AM

Rachel I’ve talked to one of my closest friends about this, her youngest just started college this year – and she was a working mom from day one with all three of her kids. Unfortunately she said you’ll always feel this way.
    Nicole Fende recently posted..Creative Finance That Won’t Get You ArrestedMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld December 5, 2011, 4:29 PM

I can definitely see that it is not going to get better!