Kids Off School & I Am Happy!

It is the first week of March, and I am proud to say that we have NOT had one day off of school due to snow this year!  Thrilling for me, terribly disappointing for my sons, the lack of snow days has interrupted an editorial challenge of mine.  Last year, I lamented pretty frequently about SNOW days and my growing angst over them (especially in transitioning from SAHM to WAHM).  I promised that I was not going to blog, vlog, or complain about SNOW days this year, and we end up not having ANY to tempt me!

Well, today my boys do not have school.  It is a clerical day.  Lucky teachers – I desperately need someone to declare a clerical day for me.  Anyway – I bet you think that I am going to vent, be agitated over this day off.  Surprisingly, I am NOT aggravated or annoyed, but rather thrilled.

I am not able to speculate exactly why, but I am sort of really happy for the boys day off of school.  It is kind of strange that these days stressed me out more as a SAHM, and not as much as WAHM (notice I say ME so this is not meant to be an indictment to anyone).  I simply think this substantiates that I am supposed to be doing what I am doing.

I am a better person these days as a business owner.  Although the chaos is expanding as my braduct nears completion, my one-on-one customer base grows, and I continue to pick up speaking engagements, I find myself more at ease.  Weird.

I am getting better and better at discipline, stronger at organizing and scheduling, and diligent about unplugging at certain times (thanks to my new 2nd floor office).  This day is a little different from an unexpected snow day in that I knew that it was coming, so I prepared.  I am ready and willing to clear a few hours today.

Although both the boys invited friends over, I am excited to hear their voices around the house, make lunch, and take the gang out for a while.

I think that maybe just maybe this day is a SLAMDUNK for all.  This day off is a reprieve for me from the normal routine so it does not seem so bad after all.  Without my business, this day may have resembled too many other days, but today it is different, better for ME.

I keep talking about me because I truly do not want to offend anyone, but also possibly to prove to myself that I have made the right choices.  Lately, I am ripe with guilt with a big travel schedule this spring and several days that I need extra care to achieve what I set out to achieve.  I am pretty sure that my boys are proud and understand my goals and mission, yet the guilt  is unavoidable.  Looking forward to this day off with the boys and ultimately enjoying it is confirmation for me that the days or hours that I miss are worth it, right for me.

Last week, this post in Forbes by Samantha Ettus brought me to tears.  Not because Samantha missed her daughter’s dance performance, but the way other moms (namely Tory Johnson) both individually and as a collective supported her and created a window into the WHY we feel guilt.  I commented on Twitter to Samantha that often we feel guilt as moms, but our children have a deeper ability to see our accomplishments.  Funny how that works.

Now, if you will excuse me – I am going to workout and enjoy the day ahead of me because tomorrow it is back to rise and grind for the whole crew – school, work, meetings, appointments, homework, and clerical work…oh, and guilt.

• Katherine Lewis March 6, 2012, 12:17 PM

Love this post. So often I forget that I decided to work at home in order to have more time for my kids. I end up working 9-5 just as if I were in an office job! So it’s important to enjoy the time with your kids during those half days or snow days or doctor’s appointments — after all, that’s what this life is about!
    Katherine Lewis recently posted..Working Moms Reach New Acceptance, Research FindsMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld March 6, 2012, 6:05 PM

I know – I kinda missed having a day of playing in the snow and drinking hot cocoa!

• miss donna March 6, 2012, 5:56 PM

this made me laugh. i can’t remember if it was this school year or last, but i blogged about wanting a snow day – like in August – clearly not gonna happen in central Texas! i’m happy for you having found your place, so to speak, when it comes to SAHM vs. WAHM. for anyone who has tried either, they ARE NOT the same.
    miss donna recently posted..‘Blogging Success’: the eBookMy Profile

• Colette Thiel March 7, 2012, 12:37 PM

Great job! I remember when I was just starting out in my own business with 3 young children. Guilt comes with the territory but just remember that showing them an example of a strong, independent woman that is happy is a true life lesson.

• kara March 7, 2012, 9:06 PM

Agree with it all, my hardest problem is making my hubby realize just because I am at home I am at work at home. Don’t call me 15 times a day or ask me to bring you lunch…I AM WORKING!

• Nelson March 8, 2012, 1:00 AM

Thanks for the article. In my biz, I encounter many WAHMs, so it’s great insight. Honestly, never thought about that before.

• Laurie Hurley March 9, 2012, 11:46 AM

Ooops, meant to put my comment here, so I’m just going to copy it!
    Always love your blogs, Rachel. Trying to find that balance between motherhood, being a wife, and an entrepreneur can be tricky. Guilt is often resting on my shoulder, but my kids get to see first hand a good work ethic everyday (demonstrated by me!) And when I hear them brag to their friends about “mom’s job” it brings a smile to my face. Would not change my work life for anything! Can’t wait to see the braduct, by the way!
    Laurie Hurley recently posted..Five Recommended Social Media Apps For FacebookMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld March 9, 2012, 3:36 PM

the boys always call out to me ‘hey back’ngroovemom’ — it puts such a smile on my face.

• Laurie Hurley March 9, 2012, 11:49 AM

Oh, the balancing act! And the guilt. But I would not swap my job for anything in the world. Through all the craziness, I get to more of my kids’ activities and see more of my husband, since he works from home too than most people. And, as my oldest daughter starts applying to college, she has commented that it is strange to think she will probably start out working for someone else, which is very weird, she says. Maybe she will catch the entrepreneur gene early on!

• Krystle March 13, 2012, 10:16 AM

It has been such a mild winter here in KY too. We’ve only had one snow day. We spent that day building a snowman and playing in the snow. My husband even took off half the day just to make sure the snow didn’t melt before he got home so he could help. It is very hard to be balanced at times but I think working at home is so great! It’s funny how some people think you don’t really have a job when you are working from home. Especially when it’s not with a well known company or something. They just wish they were doing it lol!
    Krystle recently posted..5 Ways to Relieve Stress: Are Your Kids Making You Go Crazy?My Profile