Half-Marathon here I come. Well…

In the same fashion that I woke up one morning determined to turn my crazy ideas into actual products, about a week ago, I decided to train for a half-marathon.  You know, I have so much free time and the last time I ran was in the 90’s, so clearly it was a very logical decision.

The truth is…I always wanted to run and actually love running while I was doing it.  I have a recurring dream in which I am running like the wind (near a beach) and my boobs are not flailing around, I am not huffing & puffing, and I look fabulously strong and muscular.

Let’s just say, this dream is FAR from the truth.

Anyway, you already know that I think fitness for everyone, especially moms (working or non) is seriously important.  I also know that every year closer to 40 I get, staying in shape gets harder and harder (or shall I say flabbier and flabbier).

As I announced to my family my plans to run a half, my dear husband affectionately reminded me that I was yet to run around the block.  I figured that I better start training at this point.  I also have held back on purchasing new training apps, shoes, bras, and all the other kind of goodies that I can incorporate into running.

I simply JUST had to start running.

So, yesterday with the help of the INCREDIBLE, Dr. Vonda Wright, I dragged my ass out of bed for my first speed play (interval) training session.  I would have been happy to enjoy coffee and donuts with Vonda, but we ran instead.

Look how happy I am before the warm up!

Vonda started me out with what she calls a Dynamic Warmup, a series of exercises to warm up the muscles used during running to help avoid injury.  I could have called it a day when we finished with warming up.

rolling out my IT bands - ouch (in a god way)

Next, the running began.  Two minutes of intense running at my maximum (apparently jogging and talking were out) followed by 2 minutes recovery, and repeat and repeat and repeat.  Being the competitive person that I am, I went whole hog in my first two minutes, and was beyond exerted.  After a few repetitions, I was able to find a challenging and intense pace that did not leave me feeling ready for the E.R.

Vonda and I even celebrated my first runner’s side cramp.  Apparently, this is a right of passage.

Typically, I would NEVER share as embarrassing photo of myself here or anywhere else, but to make sure that I tell an accurate story of the half marathon journey…here you go:

Action Shot by Vonda...

After 4 speed plays, I journeyed home, walked the dogs with the boys, and wondered if I was going to be able to move today.  I am awake and moving slowly.  I guess that I cannot ask for much more.

Whatever the aftermath may be, I now have to answer to all of you because I am writing it here in this blog.  I will run a half.  I am not saying when, but I will do it.

I look forward to sharing the adventure and the tips that I receive from Vonda on how to fit training into an already tight schedule.  Of course, I will make sure to include all my bloopers.  What fun would it be without them?

In the meantime, I am off to explore apps and playlists and everything running.

R

Any favorites? gear? sports bras? apps? anything?

• Chris Corcoran May 21, 2012, 9:53 AM

hahahaha, you make me laugh. (in a very good way)

• Rachel Blaufeld May 21, 2012, 11:28 AM

I am going to make you join me if you laugh too hard 😉

• Emily from Mommin It Up May 21, 2012, 11:56 AM

So, I think you know how I feel about running… but there’s something to be said for being able to say that you ran a marathon (or even a half), I must admit. I did the Disney Wine & Dine 1/2 in 2010 – and even though I came in 6,094th place (no, seriously) and haven’t run a step since – it makes me feel good to say I did it.

However, I will never do it again.
    Emily from Mommin It Up recently posted..What it felt like.My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld May 21, 2012, 12:03 PM

Maybe you will dust off the running shoes and run with me? Then we can eat cheeseburgers?

• Kelsey May 21, 2012, 9:17 PM

Awesome Rach! Running is the best – enjoy the training.
    – Saucony has been my go-to running shoe for like a decade
    – Nike Dri-fit socks ensure next to no blisters
    – Use vaseline to prevent rubbing and chafing for runs of 10 miles or more
    – Running Buddies keep you accountable
    – Switch up music with interesting podcasts for longer runs. Radiolab is my favorite!
    – Chocolate Milk is an awesome recovery drink
    – A lunch break run, totally re-energizes the afternoon
    – I keep track of my weekly milage on a white board in my bedroom. I find this motivational.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 22, 2012, 10:07 PM

thanks – I think I may dig the choc milk part…the chafing not so much!

• Laurie Hurley May 22, 2012, 2:31 PM

Ok, Rachel – listen up! I ran my first half-marathon when I was 52, so why are you doubting yourself. And, I must say, I finished in 2:22, beat my goal of 2:30 by 8 whole minutes. Not for the tips – Brooks trail runners are my fav shoe, even if you are not running trails. Roadrunner running socks, dri-max of course. GU – the mocha is my favorite. Lots of water all day, every day. Use the bathroom BEFORE you head out to practice – I learned this the hard way and it wasn’t pretty. Follow a strict training schedule. Your longest run should be no longer than 20 miles (well into your training). Don’t get hung up on time, just finish and you will finish. Be sure whatever you wear does not chafe your skin. I use Google Pedometer Maps to track my distance and my route. Make hills your best friend. OMG< I could go on and on. I will tell you when I ran my first 1/2, and crossed the finish line, I could have run at least five more miles, easy! It's all in the training. Don't let the weather get in the way of your runs. I trained in a downpour and almost wiped out in the bottom of a canyon that day, but I did it. It was a blast. Wish we lived closer, I'd do it with you. One more thing STRETCH AFTER you run, everytime. More important than before you run. Start slow to loosen up. I drink chocolate soy milk as recovery YUM. Keep me posted!!
    Laurie Hurley recently posted..Are You An Impulse Buyer Where Social Media is Concerned?My Profile

• Haralee May 22, 2012, 3:05 PM

I will enjoy your success vicariously!

• Jenny from the Blog May 22, 2012, 9:36 PM

I can’t run to the stop sign at the end of my street, and I mean that. If you make it a half mile I find it impressive so a half marathon??? Well, then you’re just being a braggy overachiever don’t you think?

• Rachel Blaufeld May 22, 2012, 10:06 PM

you won’t think I am so braggy when I get you up to run when we are roommates
      better get yourself a good pair of running shoes – Jenny!!

• Marcie May 22, 2012, 10:39 PM

I am confident that you can run a half marathon and look strong and fit while achieving this goal. After running a few marathons and halfs my tips: any comfortable sneakers (they do not need to be expensive) I like new balance. The key to training is building a good base. Start slow. Once you have a solid 3 mile base, work to get a 6 mile base. I think the first three miles are always the hardest, and once your until the 4th mile – your on auto-pilot. I am a fan of running on the treadmill. But I also love running with a great group of friends, especially in this nice weather. Wishing you fun runs!

• Ella May 23, 2012, 5:03 AM

I am a fan of running on the treadmill. But I also love running with a great group of friends, especially in this nice weather.Thanks for sharing.
    Ella recently posted..Good Low Carb DietsMy Profile

• Corey Feldman May 23, 2012, 11:00 AM

Good for you!. I just did my first official 1/2 marathon, but I have run farther distances before the race. It was just a matter of making it routine.
    Corey Feldman recently posted..General Update on Depression and Egret SeriesMy Profile

• Tori May 24, 2012, 10:34 AM

I run in Brooks shoes and love them. Got fitted for them and they are great. Start with small mileage (3-5 miles) and when you feel like you’ve got that down, starting increasing a mile a week. I would run 3-5 miles 3 days a week and then a long run on Saturday morning (when hubby could watch our son so I could leave the jogging stroller). First Saturday was 5mi, next was 6mi, and so on. Two weeks before my half-marathon, I ran 11 miles. I continued running 5-6 miles three times a week until the week of the race.
    When I first started training, I was running everyday, and quickly got shin splints. When I started skipping every other day, the running got easier. Cross training is good idea, I don’t do enough lunges so I have knee pain after I run. But no pain during my running. You’re body will acclimate. I ran my first and only 1/2 marathon in 2:35, ran the entire time, slow but steady. I’ll do another, after this next baby is born. Good Luck! It is such an accomplishment! I never run outside if it’s over 75degrees, the heat and humidity (especially here in FL) will kick your butt. Run at the gym/treadmill on a small incline on especially hot days. Oh… and on the days of your long run, carry “GU” gummies… they are sweet little rewards that will power you through.

• Rachel Blaufeld May 24, 2012, 11:27 AM

great tips – I have to get some of the GU gummies …. although donuts sound better! ha!
      I need to also find some awesome playlists…