The countdown is on. For my sons that is. Just 1 more day of school. After tomorrow, I will have a proud middle-schooler and 4th grader. Needless to say, they are ecstatic. I am panicked.
I have a nice little work from home routine going on. As of Monday, not sure how it is all going to work. We have a bunch of different camps lined up. Of course, all of them are in different locations and times and most are off on Friday. Sounds like a little storm is brewing over at Casa D’BacknGrooveMom. Oh, did I mention that my mom is moving too?
With several big projects on the summer horizon for me, the next few weeks can either be crazy or exciting. The bottom line is it is primarily my choice how I choose to handle it. I can either whine or deal.
Although whining seems like it may be more fun, I choose deal. Dealing is the smarter, saner approach. After all, I am not going to be as busy as my friend, Julie, who is getting a puppy. I will be down an extra pair of hands during my busiest week with Henry leaving on a business trip, however, it is one less person to create laundry and feed. Dealing is smarter still.
Even though my other friend, Lisa R., thinks I have a few more hours in my day then everyone else. I don’t. I just have always subscribed to life as a train schedule model (Thanks to Samantha Ettus for letting me know what it was actually called). What this means is that I run my life like a train schedule or airline flight plan with everything accounted for. Period.
Don’t worry, my kids are going to LOVE summer and enjoy every minute. Between plenty of camps and activities, and yes – time to be mellow, swim, and chill, the boys will do what kids should do during summer. Which is to have loads of fun and ice-cream.
I just plan to maximize their plans and work when they are there and be off when they are not. The only way this works is to schedule like someone in Amtrak Logistics.
Oh, and a few very silly little helpful tips:
- Laundry day(s). I used to do laundry every day. No more. I have 2 days a week that laundry gets done, and in between if you need something – You BE out of luck! This has really helped with the kids not creating 17 dirty items daily.
- Chipotle. When all else fails and you have nothing for dinner, Head to Chipotle. Life is infinitely better with guacamole.
- Chores. Yep, I said that dirty little word. Summer can be all fun (except for summer reading), however, the whole house still has to help out. I don’t like to take garbage out, and I am thinking that is why I was blessed with just boys. My two sons are gonna make 2 excellent hubbies one day.
- Smut Books. Whether you care to admit it or not, you read Fifty Shades of Grey. Whether you liked it, or thought the writing was poor, you were intrigued. The whole romance category has been around for decades. The rescue fantasy has been around longer than me. Pick up Jane Eyre or search romance on Amazon, fill the tub or grab a little time poolside with something easy on the eyes.
- Running or Margaritas. I am trying to get back into running, but fund myself dreaming of margaritas. Pretty sure either or both help with summer survival
I can’t send you a margarita, but I can send a $10 Starbucks Gift Card to one lucky reader who shares another survival strategy for moms during summer (courtesy of moi’).
Winner chosen at random on 6/16/12 randomly (comment must be in pink comment box, not FB comments).
Now, share away….We all need to help one another!