Mompreneur missing her MOJO

****As my boys get ready to depart for camp again (THIS SUNDAY…gulp), I am pulling this post out of the archives.

I miss my boys already, and need to very much remind myself of the tips below!

Before they leave!

7/2011 – Yesterday my boys boarded a bus to sleep away camp for a MONTH!

Yes, you read that correctly  – I said a MONTH!  One would think that I would be jumping for joy at all the time on my hands that I have for the next month. Actually, I am not jumping but rather cleaning.

That is how I spent my first day of freedom – cleaning.  At 12:30 p.m. yesterday, I walked into the boys’ rooms with boxes and garbage bags…only to emerge at 7:30 wondering what was for dinner.

Now, as I sit here staring at my computer screen trying to organize my thoughts and review my ideas for all the amazing posts that I have had over the first half of the summer, I realize that I am 100% paralyzed.  I am absolutely paralyzed with writer’s block, lack of creative juices, and a complete inability to multi-task.

It is af if my MOJO is gone…..My MOJO is missing.  Someone stole it right out from underneath me.

Could it be that with excess time on my hands, it is actually more difficult to fit everything in to my day?  My mom (little plug for her years of wisdom) always says that busy people find time for everything.  I think that she is right.

Possibly that is the point of all my cleaning projects?  To add some additional responsibility so I have to fine-tune my scheduling and feel as though I need to fit everything in?  Typically, I am under drop-off and pick-up time constraints, required to serve dinner at a normal time, and over the summer, dreaming up creative ways to “busy” the boys.  Believe it or not, this rarely leaves me feeling overwhelmed.  I seem to fit more in when I am racing the clock.

With FOUR weeks of unlimited time in front of me, I feel totally overwhelmed.  So, I am going to sit at my desk and fill in on my calendar all the projects and tasks that I want to complete.  I am going to make it FULL with deadlines and create a busy atmosphere so I can function.  Unreal how much time I have when the boys are not here, and I am going to fill it up.

At yoga last week, the teacher shared these words with us:

Begin doing what you want to do NOW. We have only the MOMENT, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake. ~ Marie Beynon Ray

Here is the thing about moms – I think that we WORK better under pressure, with crazy schedules, and little voices saying “MOM” in the background.  That is how I function best as a mompreneur.  A huge salute to all the working moms, moms in business, mompreneurs, and moms that I have as readers. What you all make happen on a daily basis is AMAZING. Sometimes, we need to breathe and see the moment before it melts away.  This is one of those moments for me.

My task is to create an atmosphere of productivity over the coming month.  I am also going to try to take a tiny bit of “ME” time, and I am definitely going to schedule it right into the plan.  I want to read, exercise, and go 4 weeks without eating pizza and fries.  Otherwise, it is all about product development, providing great content on Back’nGroove, finishing this site, sparkling and hustling with Tory Johnson, and my final cleaning project – my desk.  OH – How can I forget the 30 mile bike ride that DH and I are planning?  All of this is going in the “plan.”

This little task of planning, scheduling, creating a culture of responsibility, and taking time for myself…makes me think:

Whether you feel caught up in the transition into summer all that you have to do or needing to fill extra space because your kids are off to camp….AS moms, mompreneurs, moms in business, we need to follow these same suggestions:

• Always schedule your time.  Walking blindly into a day, is a recipe for disaster.  Without a plan, it is impossible to achieve goals.

• We tend to work best when we feel as though we are being productive.  Do not just set BIG, hairy goals, but set tasks for yourself that are easily accomplished and checked off.

• Never forget “ME” time or to unwind on the weekends.  Enjoy your kids, but also grab a walk, coffee, or quick escape for yourself.

• Take Deep Breaths. Often and Always.

Can you add anything to the list?  ~ Rachel

AND, of course, I have to close with a shout out to my MOJO – the boys!

• Jen Sako July 18, 2011, 12:51 PM

Time abhors a vacuum! If there is time available, then your cup will overfloweth. I can’t remember the last time I was bored! Thanks for the laugh and the tips.
    Jen Sako recently posted..Want Some Love?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 18, 2011, 3:13 PM

Jen – Thanks for the comment! Yes – I am never bored…always something to get busy with! RB

• Sharon Hiebing July 18, 2011, 3:05 PM

This is so true! I’ve always been able to get more done whenever I’m at my busiest. Your list is good – just remember to not get so caught up in working that you forget to nourish yourself with healthy food and water.

Hope you don’t miss your boys too much!

Sharon Hiebing
    Relocate Without Rose-Colored Glasses
    Sharon Hiebing recently posted..Fire Department in San Ignacio Town – Impressed With InfrastructureMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 18, 2011, 3:14 PM

Thanks Sharon! A wonderful reminder — yes, eat and drink healthy! Off to do that now….Rachel

• Debe Bloom July 18, 2011, 4:44 PM

Have you ever heard the words of people who have recently retired from employement, “I don’t know how I got all this done while I was working full time!”? It seems that when we have time restraints, we put ourselves into high gear; and when we don’t, vacation mode blankets us. Yeah for you for making your lists with goals…I bet as you complete those goals and check them off your list, you’ll be feeling a great sense of success and accomplishment–I’m all about that!
    PS, you might want to add to your last list item while you’re breathing to stand up and stretch…taking a deep breath is good for the mind, but the body also needs periodic ‘breaths’!

• Hollee Temple July 18, 2011, 5:39 PM

I know your MOJO will return soon — I am sure it will. When I finished all of the traveling and crazy stuff for my book, I just stared at walls for a long time. I needed a few days of doing nothing to clear the decks. Now I am scheduling a few goals a day, but just a few. Working for me:)
    Hollee Temple recently posted..Fitness as a ValueMy Profile

• Julieanne Case July 18, 2011, 6:54 PM

Whoa, You tire me out just reading your blog! I guess I’m at a stage in my life where I like it more leisurely. I’ve never been good with schedules, usually break them. However, I was always good with deadlines. I could get things accomplished with a deadline!

I would recommend that you take one day and schedule nothing. Do whatever pleases you as it comes up. That might be a challenge for you. What do you say?

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!
    Blog: http://www.julieannecasefromtheheart.com
    Reconnecting you to your essence, joy, vitality, youth.| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | AgeLoc Skin Care

• Laurie Hurley July 18, 2011, 7:19 PM

I am so like you, Rachel! I work best under pressure and when I have time on my hands I feel lost. As my kids get older and more independent, I am learning to pace myself and slow down just a bit. I will never be able to retire – I’d be totally bored. I want to add “keep moving” as in exercise daily and I agree, drink lots of water or green tea, stay hydrated. Work is important, but giving to yourself trumps all. Enjoy your freedom!
    Laurie Hurley recently posted..When Giving Up Isn’t An Option – Part TwoMy Profile

• Judy Stone-Goldman July 18, 2011, 8:23 PM

You miss your little guys! That can slow anyone down. I completely relate to the idea of having a huge block of time and fantasizing about how much you’ll get done, only to find it harder to use the time well. That happens to me sometimes, too, and I’m not a busy mom! For me, having entered a period of less structured work days and more time to organize as I wish, there has been a learning period of how to use time. Sometimes a heavy-duty structure works for me, and sometimes leisure and downtime serve me better. Of course I am always looking for time to write and reflect. I also know from the comment you left on my blog, that you found a reflective space cleaning out your kids’ rooms, and that perhaps it helped settle you down.

Enjoy your time without your boys, even as you miss them. Recoup, regenerate, relax! Even moms who love being busy can love some quiet time.

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    “My cat owns me, my clutter stymies me, my writing frees me.
    Word maven loves–and learns from–ordinary life.”
    Judy Stone-Goldman recently posted..Remembering My Sister on an Important Anniversary (Thanks to Decluttering)My Profile

• Louise Edington July 18, 2011, 9:47 PM

A MONTH!!!!! is all I could think! I couldn’t do it, not ready for that yet and mine are 13 and 11! Any way, love being busy and yes to all your tips. The busier I get the more I have to schedule everything! Some days it gets a little overwhelming when I have to add in dealing with contractors etc to the mix just because I’m the one that works from home. But wouldn’t have it any other way.
    Louise Edington
    Fabulous and Fearless
    Louise Edington recently posted..Rollercoaster Invitations for Entrepreneurs!My Profile

• Nicole Fende July 19, 2011, 8:32 AM

This blog post reminds me of the saying, if you need something done give it to the busiest person you know. The Mojo will come back, just give it time.

One trick I’ve learned for writing. Sit down at your computer and ONLY have word open. You can have coffee to drink, but nothing else. No music, TV or phone. You have to sit there for at least 30 minutes. Eventually (b/c you get bored if nothing else) you begin to write. Try it!
    Nicole Fende recently posted..The Personalized Guide to Managing Your MoneyMy Profile

• Molly Perry July 19, 2011, 8:42 AM

My oldest son just left for a week long camp, but I still have my younger two at home. I’m kind of envious of your freedom to do whatever you want or need to do over the next month!

Like many other moms, I work best under pressure and can multitask with the best of them. However, it is nice to give yourself breaks, as you noted. If we don’t, we will lose our mojo!

• Wine4lovers July 19, 2011, 11:52 AM

I HATE not feeling busy and productive. Nothing worse.
    Wine4lovers recently posted..Champagne Sunday! Mumm Demi SecMy Profile

• Julie Labes July 19, 2011, 7:47 PM

Although my kids are growing and are more independent, I always have 3 or 4 of someone elses small kids in my house all day so i hardly ever have chance to be bored. I am constantly updating facebook. making breakfasts, changing a diaper, checking email, fixing lunches,checkin LinkedIn, feeding infants, starting a blog, washing a shirt, sending a tweet …well you get the picture..But you know i find that i work best in these circumstances. In those very few times that i have time, I am like you…i sit staring at the monitor wondering what to do!..Don’t worry your mojo will be back ..you just hve to get used to your new found quiet

Julie Labes: The Fun-Loving, Feisty, Fearless, Frisky, Fierce Over 50 Traveler
    Julie Labes recently posted..Las Vegas. Great Destination For The Physically Challenged.My Profile

• Debbie Goldberg July 20, 2011, 12:24 AM

Rachel – I heart you! It’s like your my sista from anotha motha in a different state!

I totally understand how you feel. I too feel a little lost when I find more time available than normal. I get a panicky feeling – what have I missed? What needs to get done?

Lately I’ve been settling into the free time a bit more – forcing myself to enjoy some more me time – reading, exercising and writing. It feels a bit more balanced and I’m liking it!

Hey when you have some free time, let’s chat! I have lots going on that I’d love to share with you AND I’m looking forward to hearing about what’s up with the BRA-DUCTS!
    Debbie

• Rita Brennan Freay July 20, 2011, 12:37 AM

Ok, so its not just me….thanks! I have said for many years now that I might be crazy busy, but it all gets done…when I slow down, I don’t get it all done, am stressed and feel like I am all over the place. Its great to know that I am not crazy or alone in this thinking…and that it works:) I can’t imagine being without my kids for 4 weeks….wow!!! I wish you some down time but lots of productivity…which will come as you fill up that calendar…with alerts (kinda like them saying MOM in the background)…and enjoy!!!
    Rita Brennan Freay recently posted..My Kindle reader…is my new best friend!My Profile

• Donna McCord July 20, 2011, 1:19 AM

It’s funny, because I find myself wishing I had more time to get things done, but if I find myself in a day where I am not besieged with tasks and projects, I feel lost and confused! I can only imagine how much you do and will miss your boys…our kids give us so much energy and purpose; now that my daughter is living away from home, I am still overloaded with work and other commitments, but when she comes home to visit I love all the added activities it brings…I think it may be that I enjoy feeling needed?? Anyway, I agree that having a list is important, and I make lists every day…just love checking off those items on the list! I also agree that staying active generates more energy to get more done, but as I am getting older I am finding that having those quiet moments is becoming more and more appealing!.

• Susan Berland July 20, 2011, 1:45 AM

You’re talking to the busy queen! However, for me, busyness can be a way to avoid. Avoid doing what’s important, avoid doing what’s scary, avoid feeling what’s scary. Sometimes I have to just stop and just stop. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I know what it means. I don’t do it often. I need to do it more.

Susan Berland
    A Picture’s Worth

• Maridel Bowes July 20, 2011, 4:10 PM

What a common experience you have tapped into here, Rachel. I was in grad school when my boys were young, and after that was building a counseling practice…with a husband who travled frequently for his work. Gotcha, girl!
    I’m thinking about two things as I read this 1) What an opportunity to get some of those “extras” done — the projects that keep getting put off in favor of the immediate (which it sounds like you’re lining up) and 2) What an opportunity to open up the parameters of your “me” time! Why are you going to take “a tiny bit of it” I wonder? You’re productive ALL the time. Why not open up the me-time world you ordinarily can’t indulge in and expand its boundaries for these weeks? I really encourage you to GIVE BIG to the person who is usually the BIG GIVER!

• Robbie Schlosser July 20, 2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks for this interesting post. A VERY familiar story! And a very easy-to-use list of suggestions to beat the blahs. I’m always busy, too, and I tell myself it’s because there’s so much to do I’m never finished. Sounds like I’ve been using your strategy of constructing the To Do list from hell.

Ironic that I have a refrigerator magnet that says “I’m not loafing. I work so fast I’m always finished.” I often wonder why I enjoy reading this.

On a related note, my wife knows me VERY well, and whenever she see’s me busily cleaning something (like my desk, my room, or the patio), she’ll say “Oh, too much on your To Do list today?”

Robbie
    Robbie Schlosser recently posted..What is Jazz?My Profile

• Brenda Jones July 21, 2011, 1:25 AM

Oh, I love this post! One, it gives me hope that someday my daughter will be old enough to attend sleep away camp, lol. But more importantly, it sums up my existence and it feels so good to know I’m not the only one. I’ve always worked better under pressure. I’m preparing to send my little one to preschool soon. It wasn’t my original intention to go this year, but she’s soooo ready for it and craving it. And I think the first thing I’ll do with her out of the house is… CLEAN!! Kudos to you for remembering to schedule time to “put the ‘ME’ back in ‘momME.'”
    Brenda Jones recently posted..Life is a story. What’s your story?My Profile

• Jennifer Lynn Yu July 21, 2011, 2:54 AM

Ah what to do with more time one our hands. It’s one of those things we all search for, 28 hours in a day, 8 days a week and yet when it’s in front of us. I often stare at the mirror a little longer and say “What’s next?”

• Theresa Ceniccola July 22, 2011, 6:52 PM

Totally agree, Rachel! We moms work best under pressure and I think you will have no problem when empty nest syndrome knocks on your door! Great tips:-) Thanks for sharing! Oh, and BTW – ENJOY these 30 days, because they are going to FLY BY faster than your kids got out of diapers!

• Yvonne Elm Hall July 26, 2011, 1:56 AM

A MONTH?????? How did you get them to agree to A MONTH??? I seem to be motivated to get things done in times that are not the right times .. they are the busiest times. But for what ever WAHm reason … that is when my mind, my body tells me to GO GET IT DONE! But as many have said previously .. I wouldn’t have it any other way. 😉
    Enjoy your schduled time!
    Yvonne Elm Hall