What I am [NOT] going to do while the kids are at camp.

crying with relief

I have spent the last few weeks dreaming and fantasizing about what I am going to do while my kids are at camp.  I simply have not come up with one goddamn thing.  Not one goddamn thing.  I immediately think of getting my house back together and organized and my home office all just-so, but I know better.  I know that if I spend the whole time the kids are away cleaning shit, I am going to be resentful.  Really resentful.  They will return back on their bus bursting with tales of good times at camp, and I will be tired and sporting cracked broken nails from cleaning.  Cleaning is way out.

Then, I think that a trip to Italy would be nice or perhaps a mission of some sort to help someone less fortunate whose children are not at camp.  Either of those would work for me, but unfortunately neither is on the docket for the next three weeks.  It is just me and the mister at home with time on our hands.  No rushing to get dinner served, no nagging to do summer reading or study for an upcoming Bar Mitzvah, no fretting over unmade beds and dirty clothes on the floor, and no locking the door (if you know what I mean).  Without all the nagging, fretting, and rushing….that is a lot of time to kill with doing stuff with the door not being locked.

We were scheduled to have a handyman help us with some larger home projects, but his schedule is pushed and now we will be lucky to see him by the time school starts.  With no workman at the house, not only do I not have to lock the door, but I could walk around in the buff if I wanted.

As far as camp communication goes, I am no longer waiting for mail the way I used to anxiously await the mailman’s arrival.  In fact, I told my sons not to write if all they were going to say is “I am having a great time at camp.”  Don’t they know I need DETAILS?  My friends who have daughters get books, manuscripts, documents chock full of information, so if it is not going to be that, forget it!  I want to know if they brushed their teeth, if they think of me at all, did they dance at the dance, and who their bunkmate is?  Is that too much to ask?  Don’t answer that!

Who can forget being an emotional hostage to Bunk1?  Again, I know my kids are having fun…I have been to this rodeo before, so I do not have to hit refresh into the wee hours of the night waiting for Bunk1 to reload.  I just want to see a photo of my 2 sons together, and tell them so before they leave and in my letters, and then they make me wait.  And wait.  And wait.  And wait until the last few days of camp.  They know what they are dong.  They think it is funny.  I don’t.

So, back to the question at hand.  What will I do for the next few weeks?

1. Not torture myself with what I am going to do.  At least, I am going to try.
  2. Refuel my mind, body, and soul with food, exercise, wine, and books and wine.
  3. Let myself actually relax for a minute or two or even three.
  4. Not lock the door.  Perhaps, A lot.
  5. Hear phantom yellings of ‘Mom’ through the house.

Ok, you got me…I may clean a little, too…And, watch a wee bit of Mad Men and SOA.

Got any suggestions?

• Janice Schwarz July 23, 2013, 6:52 PM

I’m glad you are taking time for you! That would be my own plan, if I ever get free time. I have vacation time left this year. And while most of my vacation time has been reserved for visiting family, I will take at least *one day* to have to myself to do nothing, or whatever else I want to do.

In our competitive, go-go-go world, most people do not grasp how important taking time to relax and do nothing really is for own own health, productivity, and creativity. It’s one of the best things we can do for ourselves. Sadly, most of us have jobs and family situations where that is just not possible.
    Janice Schwarz recently posted..World of Warcraft Auction House SecretsMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2013, 10:52 AM

agreed – that we are in a sad state of affairs with feeling like it is sooo indulgent to take time for ourselves! It should be MANDATORY!

I look forward to hearing how you spend a little quality ‘janice time’ – make it worthwhile!

• Janice Schwarz July 25, 2013, 12:32 PM

I suspect my own personal day would involve playing World of Warcraft, cleaning my office (that would actually make me feel very happy, because I can barely see the floor), and lots of napping.

Maybe a shopping trip for pants too because I’m out of casual pants that aren’t torn in, um, unseemly places. And maybe a casual shirt or two that doesn’t have stains on it. Currently, I’m down to work clothes, dress clothes, and really beat up clothes to wear around the house. I’ve neglected my wardrobe far too long.
        Janice Schwarz recently posted..Kitten vs FerretMy Profile

• Janice Schwarz July 25, 2013, 12:35 PM

Although in a way, I’m getting personal time today. I’m too sick to do actual work. But spending time online catching up on blogging and other stuff has been nice. That’s pretty much the limit of my brain capacity right now. While sick, blogging is way easier to do than any business writing and other business-related projects.
        Janice Schwarz recently posted..What’s a Secure Certificate?My Profile

• Janice Schwarz July 25, 2013, 12:37 PM

Weird. CommentLuv didn’t post my latest GeekArtist post and went with an older one. But that’s something else I need to fix for you later when I’m not sick. :-D
          Janice Schwarz recently posted..What’s a Secure Certificate?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2013, 1:42 PM

just take care of yourself!! …and when you are better – take some time for your well self!

• Nicole Fende July 24, 2013, 1:27 PM

I’m so thankful I’m experiencing this vicariously through you before I hit that stage. Can’t believe my daughter will be 5 in a week!

My suggestion is plan a day for yourself but book nothing. In the morning if you want to sleep in, sleep in. Want pizza for breakfast? Great! Feel like a massage, go get one. Other things I might or might not do: wander in a bookstore, pull out my beading, watch old episodes of some “girly” show and for you perhaps some shoe shopping?

Or just laze about all day, give yourself the freedom to do that. No matter what – enjoy!
    Nicole Fende recently posted..Beach Read with Business Benefits – Whodunnit?My Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2013, 10:54 AM

so happy to see you pop up here Nicole! I cannot believe your daughter is going to be FIVE!

Yes, shoe shopping is on the list. When is it not? :)

I am also enjoying not rushing to get dinner ready…it is the little things.

• Jessica @FoundtheMarbles July 24, 2013, 1:34 PM

Just enjoy the time while you’ve got it!
    Jessica @FoundtheMarbles recently posted..11 Acts of Kindness for Back to School SeasonMy Profile

• Rachel Blaufeld July 25, 2013, 10:55 AM

my fear — not being able to get back in the swing of things when they get back home! HA!