No American Girl but Steelers Nation!

note:  I wrote this way back in 2010 when I first started blogging.  As I get ready to head to the Steelers Game tonight with BOTH my sons (and it is most certainly not snowing), this post still holds true.  Possibly even more true because I am going to be sandwiched in between both my boys and loving every messy minute.  Even though my sons are getting older, bigger, and wiser than me –  they will always be my boys.

12/2010 – Just a little tribute to being a mother of boys……

Tomorrow is a special day – I am going to the Steelers Game with my oldest son:  It does not matter who they are playing (well maybe a little – it is the Jets & potentially the game of the year).  It does not matter that it is going to be 20 degrees and starting to get dark at 4:15; it does not matter that I have a list a mile long for Monday Morning; all that matters, is that I am going to the Steelers Game with my oldest son.  A few years ago, I started a tradition with my oldest son (his religion is sports) of going once a year to the Steelers Game – just the two of us.  It all happened by chance.  We were given two tickets to a December game, and I decided to take JB as a special treat because his birthday is in December.

BacknGrooveMom Steelers Game

There was a certain magnitude to the event, and I am not speaking about the absolute magnitude of Heinz Field on Steelers Sunday.  If you have ever been to Pittsburgh or Heinz Field on a Football Sunday, you know what I am talking about.  If you have not witnessed this first hand, let me explain there are football fans and then there are Steelers Fans.  As Pittsburghers, we are born with football in our blood – We are a part of Steelers Nation. The whole ground shakes around Heinz Field during a game because the crowd simply goes crazy!  The city pulsates with anxiety and excitement during Steelers Games.

On this particular Sunday a few years back, the ground was not just shaking because of the fans, but also because my heart was pounding full of love and adoration.  As the mother of two boys, I cannot say that I have never mourned the loss of not being able to go to American Girl Cafe or the Princess Breakfast at Disney World.  BUT, on that Sunday, I would have not been anywhere else except in the freezing cold, snow, and dusk under a blanket, drinking hot chocolate with my oldest son.  We were cheering, screaming, and huddling close to stay warm when I realized that I had to make this an annual event.  Here was a connection that would last a lifetime!  We were talking plays, statistics, and players.  JB was explaining the game to me even though I have a pretty thorough understanding.  I made him feel like a VIP with his football knowledge.

Sports is my religion now, too.  It is the connecting force between my sons and me.  Every once in a while, I have to borrow one of my friend’s daughters for a little nail painting, but I am fully immersed in the sports culture now.  It is where I belong.

That is why tomorrow is so important, it is JB’s and my annual Steelers Date that I would not miss for anything! I might get frost bite and knocked around by some crazy Steelers Fans, but at the end of the day, I will be huddled under the blanket with JB.

Thankfully, it is not cold, but sunny and warm today for the 7:30 p.m. Steelers Preseason Game…and, I look forward to new memories not under the blanket, but eating pizza in the tailgate of the car and watching the Steelers under the starry sky with the whole gang.

• Fiona Stolze December 18, 2010, 2:05 PM

Rachel, I loved this. Being the mother of 3 boys I can so relate to what you write here. Those fabulous moments where we bond with our sons are worth gold. I’ve just spent a couple of hours playing Dungeons and Dragons with mine and even though I’m not so good, that really doesn’t matter. Being on the same team is priceless. Thanks for sharing.

• Hollee Temple December 18, 2010, 2:16 PM

I love it! I am a happy boy mom, too. Have a great time at the game with JB.

• liza December 18, 2010, 3:09 PM

RB-tell JB happy birthday from LB and have a ball tomorrow at the Game! You can take our little one for football or nails anytime you like…

• Nicole Fende December 19, 2010, 4:33 PM

I hope you guys have a great time at the game today. I think it’s wonderful you have found a great way to bond! I find myself in the opposite position. I was always a tomboy, I loved matchbox cars, hunting and fishing. Now I’ve got a totally girly girl! The miracle of motherhood is that we find a way to connect with our children.

• Stefani December 19, 2010, 10:08 PM

Rachel,
    I found myself tearing up when I read this entry. Even though I do have a girl, I’m constantly amused and suprised at how much my boys have changed me and expanded my interests. With a sports fanatic oldest son, I am amazed at the depth of my Steelers/Pitt/Pirates knowledge — despite growing up with two brothers, i still couldn’t name a team starting line up or even watch a football game from beginning to end. But connecting with your kids is a whole different game — this desire to connect has me checking my ESPN or Polamalu twitter feeds regularly so I can tell my guy something he may not know, something that will let him know his mom “gets it” and loves him. So thank you Rachel for speaking my mind. Keep up the writing…

• backngroovemom December 20, 2010, 6:33 AM

Thank you everyone!
    The Steelers lost yesterday, but I won! I spent a few hours with my son (uninterrupted), and those hours will be cherished forever. Although, JB went to sleep disappointed over the loss, I hope that he will always remember these hours, too.
    RB

• Kim December 20, 2010, 1:43 PM

LOVED,LOVED,LOVED this post – especially knowing I have a boy on the way! Miss you and love the blog – think its fabulous! xoxo

• Carol Fishman Cohen December 23, 2010, 10:21 AM

Hi Rachel, With 3 boys and a girl I am immersed in mostly boy-land as well. Currently my 2nd oldest, a 19 year old crew guy, is home from college for holiday break. He and I have bonded over his taking charge of my “workouts” (after years of sitting sedentary in front of my computer I decided it might not be a bad idea to get a little exercise), which includes 10 minutes of erging on a rowing machine. The best part is when he counts out the strokes like a military commander, along with “C’mon Mom, you can do it!”. We both think this is hysterical and it’s just been really nice. I hope you continue your Steelers tradition for many years to come. It is wonderful. Carol

• backngroovemom December 28, 2010, 2:43 PM

thank you Carol! I hope that my boys and I continue to find something to bond over as they get older – you give me hope! RB

• Sheila May-Stein January 23, 2011, 1:52 PM

Don’t tell Mrs. Mazer that JB’s religion is sports!!! Haha!! I love this post and I totally relate. My son and I connect over our love of the Steelers too. Have a great time at the game!!